cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Recycle Is A SCAM!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to send a warning to anyone thinking of using O2 Recycle.

My situation was I saw the O2 Recycle when thinking of upgrading and when I honestly filled out the recylce valuation, it convinced me to get a new iPhone 7. Anyway, they offered me £214 for my iPhone 6 which was in immaculate condition, with no damage at all. Anyway, I send it off to them and then turn around and say we are not offering £214 anymore, its £40 take it or leave it. They claimed there was damage to the screen, which there isnt. I requested the phone sent back to me and eventually, it turned up. There is no damage to the phone at all. They also decided to throw away the original box I sent with it, so no I cant even sell it.

I am considering cancelling my contract with them as this service is a complete and utter scam.

Message 1 of 138
137 REPLIES 137

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
At a guess...
Oled burn in has caused the icons to be permanently burned into the display.
But..£9 .... On yer bike scammers
Message 61 of 138

Anonymous
Not applicable

it's funny how its the same trouble with every phone they get back, the screen is broke icons burn out, sure not everyones phone as they same problem, come on 02 deal with complaints or read some of the threads, i think your recycle team need to go spec savers 

Message 62 of 138

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

If people made a complaint every time this occurred then changes might happen. Until then we will continue to advise customers to go to CEX for a better deal.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 63 of 138

Brumtoffee
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My story:

So I had an Iphone 7 128gb. The phone was practically in pristine condition except for a very light scratch on the screen, which when on, was not discernable at all. 

At the time O2 were offering £330 trade for the Iphone 7 128gb if in mint condition. Of course I wasnt expecting to get that full amount taking into account the scratch, but what they did offer me on inspection was simply jaw dropping. The guy in the shop stated that the final amount was subject to an inspection (after a two week turn around btw), but in his opinion I was likely to be offered about [DRAMATIC PAUSE]................ an  astonishing £60.00. Let me state that again: sixty pounds. For a phone that a year earlier was £799 and in almost superb condition except for the aforementioned scratch. I sold to CeX for £318 2 hours later. No doubt had I'd been stupid enough to sell it to them, they would have sold it as a "recondidtioned" for £549. Becuase that's how much they were selling recon Iphone 7 128gb, for at the time. 

How on earth does this system even work when it is such a blatant rip-off? Seriously O2?????

Message 64 of 138

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Totally agree with your comments re shoddy practice @Brumtoffee

It happens too frequently.

We never advise anyone to use O2 recycle. CEX give you a much better price.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 65 of 138

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
It doesn’t work at all unless you are totally gullible.
We always recommend going to CEX.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 66 of 138

monkeydave
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have just upgraded to an S9+ and sent my old S6 Edge to O2 Recycle for a price of £90, however they have emailed me to say revised offer of £18 due to a smashed screen. This is a lie, as the phone was in perfect condition on posting. Any ideas on getting the phone back and if there is any damage who do I put down as defendant name and address to issue county court proceedings for full cost of the phone? 

I am in too minds to also cancel my contract and send the new phone back as well - I am still within the 14 day cool off period 

Thanks rage

Message 67 of 138

Anonymous
Not applicable

@monkeydave Call customer service on 202 or perhaps our community admin can help @EmilieT @Marjo @Martin-O2

Message 68 of 138

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@monkeydave

Ask for your phone back and sell it to CEX.

This is a common occurrence with O2 recycle. Offer one price then always claim something is wrong with it.

We always advise people to take photos of the phone from every angle. Then you have proof of the condition of the device before you send it off. 

Absolutely outrageous practice!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 69 of 138

monkeydave
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is the email i've just had back. 

Thank you for contacting O2 Recycle.

I am sorry to hear we have received your device in a different condition from what you sent it, this is certainly not how we want to receive customers devices.

The postage we supply covers you for up to £100.00 for loss or damage, I have arranged for your device to be returned to you to allow you to set up a claim with Royal Mail.

So o2 pass the buck and expect me to claim off Royal Mail? Joke... they paid for the postage not me. I'll never use o2 again! angry

More info

Message 70 of 138