Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Email/Webmail to close?

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I don't know what is going on here and I'm not sure I believe it, but a thread has appeared elsewhere saying that O2 Webmail will be closing at the end of the year according to an O2 Web Chat advisor.

Maybe Chiara could check this out as people using this service may need to make other arrangements. 

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/o2/4259681-o2-to-close-all-webmail-accounts-by-november-2nd-2013.ht...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 1 of 231
230 REPLIES 230

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been using the O2 email smtp server for outgoing emails on my phone, but it's suddenly stopped working.  I just get login errors now

Just sent a test email, went out ok.

You're using port 25, I assume?

Message 161 of 231

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Have you been getting a few "mail cannot be delivered" messages that you didn't send?

I use port 25.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 162 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, with ssl disabled.

Message 163 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

Have you been getting a few "mail cannot be delivered" messages that you didn't send?

I use port 25.

No - I had some a while back, but on a different email address (I assumed someone was spoofing the address).

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, with ssl disabled.

Same here.

I've noticed, however, that I can set up a different smtp server on port 25 (which I'm sure was blocked before).  As the O2 address is about to die anyway, I'll switch to the other server straight away instead.

Message 164 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably for the best since non-ssl email connections aren't a good idea anyway.

Message 165 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

My mistake, I spoke too soon - the alternative smtp server is not working slight_frown

I guess I need to call O2 to find out what's going on.  Thanks for the help, guys.

Message 166 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@Toby or @Anonymous

How will this affect those isp's that you block port 25 and users have to send via o2 smtp?

Or will the removal of the o2 smtp server allow all isp's outgoing email servers to be used?

We still see threads that this occours on

@Toby wrote:
Hi Adam,

Let me try and get some info on that for you.

Cheers, Toby

Any update on this?  I'm trying to set up an alternative outgoing smtp server on my phone, connected to the O2 3G network, but it looks like ports 25, 587 and 465 (for an SSL connection) are all blocked.  What happens when we can no longer access the O2 smtp server?

Message 167 of 231

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146286 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28161 Solutions
I use 465 fine - It's not blocked......
However, if you are using smtp.o2.co.uk you must NOT tick SSL.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 168 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
I use 465 fine - It's not blocked......
However, if you are using smtp.o2.co.uk you must NOT tick SSL.

Port 465 on smtp.o2.co.uk or on a different smtp server?

Message 169 of 231

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146286 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28161 Solutions
Port 25 is the only port that used to work on O2's smtp, without SSL ticked.
I use 465 on virgin's smtp over the O2 network.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 170 of 231