cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Ask mini review

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 Ask

O2 Ask is a new service designed to replace the now defunct TU app which allowed customers with little or no signal to be able to call or text over their WiFi connection with their allowances. You can download it via your phones App Store. 

Overall Look

It looks very smart & looks the same as all the O2 apps. I like the new style of menus in this app compared to the myo2 one. Much clearer & easier to view especially data allowance. Although when you click on something it can take a while to load as it’s very slow. The menus look nice & simple. 

SMS function 

I primarily tested this app to see if the sms would work over WiFi considering I already have an excellent o2 signal in my area but some areas I frequent may occasionally need WiFi Calling so this was a welcome add. The function does take a little bit of working out but make sure your contacts that you want to text have the same app downloaded on their phone otherwise you can send but you won’t receive their replies. 

My Thoughts

Its a nice app but I think I’ll stick to good old myo2 for my account & WhatsApp for sending messages over WiFi

Message 1 of 91
90 REPLIES 90

GJD
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hmm, so it's next to useless then. Only of marginally functional use for someone who lives in a mobile signal dead-zone (and only if they get sent "missed call" texts). In which case you would have switched networks by now (as per the reason I did from Orange to O2 in the first place 11 years ago).

I wonder what the drawing board looks like that they designed this mish-mash of an app on? There's no benefit over MyO2 if the messaging/calling functions are so limited and hit-and-miss. I'm guessing it's some sort of cast-off/hand-me-down from Telefónica in Spain (with the high version number and names like "VozDigital" for the voice calling [non-]function, voz being Spanish for voice) ... as was TuGo if I remember rightly.

Message 71 of 91

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'd like to be able to try it to decide but as I have more than one contract on my account I am prevented from doing so.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 72 of 91

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It just makes me wonder if My O2 will eventually be retired as this just seems a direct replacement with the added bonus of wifi calling and messaging under certain conditions and where there is poor/zero network coverage. I really don't see the point of two apps doing mostly the same thing. I'm thinking the My O2 platform is either too expensive or the system can't cope with the sheer number of customers now using it?

Message 73 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

It just makes me wonder if My O2 will eventually be retired as this just seems a direct replacement with the added bonus of wifi calling and messaging under certain conditions and where there is poor/zero network coverage. I really don't see the point of two apps doing mostly the same thing. I'm thinking the My O2 platform is either too expensive or the system can't cope with the sheer number of customers now using it?

I’m in agreement @jonsie

Message 74 of 91

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@jonsie But myo2 handles more than one number etc I cannot use o2 ask as I have more than one device 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 75 of 91

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

If Ask is to be of benefit to all of it's customers they will have to stop being so selective. The same message has gone back to O2 I believe. Just have to wait and see. Currently (in my eyes) they are discriminating against those who pay them the most money frowning2

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 76 of 91

ste064
Level 3: Thinker
  • 85 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I won't be using the O2 ASK app anytime soon.

Message 77 of 91

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@ste064 wrote:

I won't be using the O2 ASK app anytime soon.

That's fair enough but many customers will benefit from the app.

Message 78 of 91

mithical
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ok so TU went. I downloaded O2 Ask to get texts at work over wi-fi as reception isn't great. Now they are removing that part from the app! Why?! Is there a replacement coming out again that can be used?
Message 79 of 91

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions