cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get my old O2 email accounts deleted?

Skyrim
Level 1: Joiner
  • 43 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I started using Plusnet just before O2 merged with Sky. I retained my old O2 email accounts on Thunderbird just in case some people still sent mail to them.

Fast forward to this year and I've received a couple of emails from companies I had accounts with notifying me of successful password changes. It appears my O2 email has been hacked.

For my own security I need to have my O2 email addresses deleted so that nobody can send or receive mail from/to those accounts.

How do I go about getting them deleted?

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You would have to speak to customer service although as the email service was part of the Sky changeover they may well refer you to Sky. Have a look on the Sky customer forum for customers with the same issue.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You would have to speak to customer service although as the email service was part of the Sky changeover they may well refer you to Sky. Have a look on the Sky customer forum for customers with the same issue.

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Your O2 email addresses should have ceased by now as any created to use stopped on a staggered closedown last year ,and any that migrated to Sky with broadband started to close down too. Contact Sky Customer Services to see if they can assist.

I don't think O2 can help due to the above as they no longer run any of it.

However All points of contact to O2 is http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

If you can't log into the O2 e mail then they are permanently closed.

If you can then do so and change passwords. You're one of the few if you can
Message 3 of 14

Skyrim
  • 43 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for the swift replies. Sky say O2 accounts are a third party service and they have no power to alter them.

I just had a frustrating chat with online O2 customer support with someone who told me not to worry as the hacked email account wasn't connected to my O2 online account. I mean WTF? I don't think English was "Sam"s first language. He/she was totally useless.

There seems to be some confusion between webmail and the email account set up for the Outlook email client, which required a password for the email servers. I don't know what the password is or how to change it. Some Chinese hacker seems to have managed to gain access to it though, as without it they wouldn't have been able to receive password reset emails.

This is a serious issue. Surely someone at O2 can help me?

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're Welcome.

Web chat are non UK outsourced callcentres who can get things muddled.

You may be better ringing O2
Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Speaking to them is your best bet although I can imagine the service adviser will be fairly clueless as to what to do. Bearing in mind it is weekend and the portal team are unlikely to be manned. You might want to make sure you get some form of resolve by making a formal complaint which they are duty bound to follow up. Normal response times are around 10 working days.

The complaint can be made via email : How to complain

Message 6 of 14

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi

Your O2 email addresses should have ceased by now

They haven't......as Browni and myself have confirmed in another thread.

I can access O2 webmail with my original primary O2 email address and can send from both webmail and my email client. Receiving emails does not seem to function.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Beenherebefore

You missed my other part of the same post perhaps ?

"If you can then do so and change passwords. You're one of the few if you can."
Message 8 of 14

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Just thought it prudent to emphasise that not everybody's O2 email address has gone to that great server in the clouds.

There seems to be very few reports of people still being able to use their O2 email address.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely.

All correct help and information is a good thing and very prudent I agree.
Message 10 of 14