Did you mean: 

Welcoming new fluffy friends 🐹

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

I've got some very exciting news: I'll be adopting two guinea pigs this weekend!  

Picture of enclosure for guinea pigs

We've been preparing their new home all week, researching vets, insurance, food, care tips and all sorts of things to make sure they are happy piggies. Here's the enclosure we've prepared - the ramp between the two levels will be added tonight, we are putting the finishing touches to it and making sure it's safe and secure:

Not pictured in this photo are all the toys, tunnels and "boredom-breakers" I've also got for them to keep them active and entertained. ☺️

Tomorrow morning I'm heading to a rescue in Richmond to meet a few pairs of guinea pigs and hopefully, if everything goes well, bring one (pair) back home with me. I'll post pictures of them next week slight_smile

In the past, I've only ever had dogs (and one rescue bird that stayed with me for a few years as well), so this is all very new for me. 

Do any of you guys have experience with guinea pigs? Any tips and advice you could share? I've been reading a lot about piggies and watching many videos lately, and all help is very welcome!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 106
105 REPLIES 105

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I didn't know you could adopt Guinea Pigs. Hope all goes well and you bring a pair home yahoo

Message 2 of 106

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

There are actually a lot of rescue centers for guinea pigs, but most of them are outside of London. The one I'm going to is this one, which is still 45-50 minutes away for me, but worth it. I'll update you on Monday on how it went! fingers_crossed

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 106

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@EmilieT 

Brilliant! Brilliant! That is such good news Bouncy What a wonderful and kind gesture to take in two rescued guinea pigs 🐹 🐹.

Have you thought of names for them yet? If not, I am sure [as they did with the famous Blunderland chicks] that members will suggest a few.

I am so look forward to hearing more and regular updates.

A lovely way to go into the weekend @EmilieT Hug Fantastic

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 106

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Make sure you get 2 females.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 106

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Oh how lovely @EmilieT  and how great that you are taking two. They form frienships and don't like being on their own.

Can't wait to see the pictures....star

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 106

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks guys!

@Mi-Amigo I've got a few names in mind, and it will mostly depend on what they look like since guinea pigs come in all sort of sizes and colours slight_smile That being said, if you have any names that you would give to a pair of guinea pigs, more inspiration and ideas can't hurt so do let me know what you'd pick wink

@MI5 Did you have troubles with male guinea pigs? From what I've read males get tamer and not as obsessed with marking their territory once they're over a year old, but when they're younger they're more tricky to take care of ... We definitely want either two females or two males, but  think it'll be down to which ones we fall in love with wink

@Cleoriff This rescue makes sure they find pairs that get along really well and are adopted together, which is lovely heart

signature

Message 7 of 106

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I second that ^^^^ @jonsie 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 106

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@jonsie @Mi-Amigo I'll have to find a delicate balance between sharing plenty of photos without spamming you guys, feel free to tell me off if it's too much or not enough joy

signature

Message 10 of 106