Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 Community 2019 Advent Calendar

Welcome to the Christmas Edition of 

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

There is no selected contestant this week. Instead the White Room Thursday Quiz is open to all members of the O2 Community, who are invited to pm [private message] me - @Mi-Amigo - with their answers. Please do not post your answers on the thead.

TWELVE CHRISTMAS-RELATED QUESTIONS:

Q1 [people]: Where does the impression of Santa as a jolly, round bellied, man with a white beard and rosey cheeks come from?

Q2 [history]: When [from which year to which year] were Christmas celebrations banned in Britain?

Q3 [events]: What event is held annually on Christmas morning in Brighton, despite efforts by council to prevent it? 

Q4 [geography]: There are two Christmas Islands in the world. One is in the Indian Ocean - 400km [250 miles] south of the western end of Java. Where is the other?

Q5 [space]: Who delivered a Christmas message from space on Christmas morning 1968?

Q6 [nature]: Turkeys are said to have been introduced to Britain in the 1520, were eaten by Henry VIII at feasts in 1547, and later became popular as part of Christmas feast. But where did turkeys originate from?

Q7 [games]: What did the Victorian parlour game "Snap Dragon", which was played at Christmas, involve, which would probably make it prohibited today?

Q8 [words]: What item, traditionally displayed at Christmas, has the Latin name viscum album?

Q9 [literature]: How many ghosts visit Snooge in Dicken`s A Christmas Carol?

Q10 [music]: How many gifts - in total - did "my true love send to me", according to the song "Twelve Days Of Christmas"?

Q11 [TV sit-com]: In the TV sit-com Only Fools And Horses, screened on Christmas Day 1989, where did the Jolly Boys Outing coach trip go to?

Q12 [food and drink]: From the 14th century, frumenty [or frumety] was eaten at Christmas. What were the main ingredients of frumenty [frumety]?

Rules:

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

Please send only one pm with all 12 questions and your answers to Mi-Amigo - at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday] 5 December 2019.

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 on Thursday will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

Answers and Results:

The correct answers, will be posted on Friday morning 6 December 2019.

Each member will be awarded a starfor each correct answer.

In addition, all members will be awarded

for 6 correct answers:                 for 10 correct answers:                              for all 12 correct answers:

silver-thinker.jpg                                golden-thinker.jpg                                        diamond-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker                              Golden Thinker                                             Diamond Thinker

Comments on the questions are welcome. I hope as many members as possible join in and have a go at the answers by pming me, and wish everyone "Good luck"

@Mi-Amigo 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @Mi-Amigo 

Had a quick read through!

I know some ~ and some are vague memories!

However thanks for putting this Christmas Quiz up for us

Best wishes TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 42

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I'll be giving this one a go @Mi-Amigo! My general knowledge is terrible but I'll see what I can come up with. cool

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 42

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @TallTrees and @Martin-O2 for having a look at the quiz. Good luck with your answers...

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
5/12... not impressed
Message 5 of 42

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
5/12... not impressed

That`s pretty good @Anonymous . If you can get or guess one more and pm the answers to me and they are all correct, you`ll be awarded the Silver Thinker! Bear in mind, so far [in previous White Room Thursday Quiz, only two members have been awarded the Silver Thinker... [just a thought, as I know you prefer to just play along] thumbsup

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 6 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Possibly 5 answers

Message 7 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well my PM has gone in and god help me....rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 42

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Possibly 5 answers

Brilliant @Anonymous .

Why not pm me your answers? And if you do and get or guess one more answer, you have every chance of being awarded the Silver Thinker... [to add to your "cred" wink]  

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 42

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Go on @Anonymous 'ave a go. Do it for 'girl power' rofl tongue_winking

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 42