Four Years of WRQ!

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

WRQ Anniversary banner.gif

White Room Quiz - 4th Anniversary Quiz - 02 Aug 2023 

Since this momentous WRQ falls right in the middle of our Summer Week 2023, I thought it only appropriate to highlight @Mi-Amigo's massive effort throughout the last four years (and yes even before that). 

I had a little rifle through the annals of the WRQ and here are some nifty things I found:

debate.png

The first ever White Room (Thursday) Quiz was on August 1st, 2019. There was quite the debate about the question Who built and flew the first aeroplane? Was it the Wright brothers or was it George Cayley? Depends on how you're defining "aeroplane" it would seem 🤔

serpent-snake-emoji-iphone-mamba-snake.jpgOnce upon a time, there was only one ☝️ quizzer at a time. @gmarkj was once given the question: Which is the world`s fastest snake? 

xki3csn785qy.pngThe WRQ's predecessor was the THURSDAY QUIZ. Answers used to be given in 😱 the comments 😱 and there was an award for "most amusing answer."

From the May 30th, 2019 Edition:

The special award for the most amusing answer goes to @jonsie for answer to Q3: "keel-hauled them and then cut off their barnacles" laughing

Throughout the years there have many special editions of WRQs:

Summer 

A-Z

Easter

Numbers

Regular’s choice

Love 

One right, two wrong

January

End of the year

New Year

Boxing Day

Anniversary

Colours

Odd Questions

2000th question

Either Or

Xmas Xtra

Christmas edition

1500th question

150th

Multi-choice answers

Spring Bank Hol

1000th question

April fools

100th quiz

The 12 of christmas

Halloween

500th question

Easier questions

Alice themed

Fun

People’s Choice

"White Room Quiz" is mentioned 1,060 times in @Mi-Amigo's post history--which is how many times I had to hit enter to see the complete history of the WRQ 😂

I also only found evidence of the WRQ being postponed ONE time in the last four years (but of course correct me if I'm wrong).

Untitled design (2).png

With that said, big shoutout to @Mi-Amigo for being such a devoted Quiz Master and to everyone who participates each and every week!

Any questions you remember being especially tough or memorable debates?

Now go take a look at the WRQ if you haven't done so already and don't forget to submit your answers by 03.00am Friday morning.

White Room Quiz - 4th Anniversary Quiz - 02 Aug 2023 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions
Message 2 of 17

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Definitely a noteworthy achievement.

Well done @Mi-Amigo 👏

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 17

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25162 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much @Breanna for this lovely, comprehensive account of FOUR YEARS of WHITE ROOM QUIZ.

A couple of points to add...

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE WHITE ROOM QUIZ

The White Room Quiz was "born" on 01 August 2019 when it was known as the White Room Thursday Quiz.

The name "The White Room [Thursday] Quiz" was chosen as an alternative to the infamous Black Chair of BBC TV`s Mastermind, which was daunting, whilst the White Room Quiz is intended as fun and an escape from the everyday pressures.

The White Room Quiz underwent various changes during its first twelve months - most notable the introduction of those taking part pming their answers being to me - Mi-Amigo as the questionmaster.

White Room Quizzers have, on occasions, done better than some of Britain`s best TV quiz champions

- some correctly answered a question which Paul Sinha, ranked No 17 in the World Quiz Championship, got wrong on ITV`s The Chase;

-some correctly answered a question which one of the country`s top quiz teams got wrong on Ch 4`s The Hardest Question;

- some correctly answered a question which Kevin, Mastermind Champion and Egghead got wrong on BBC TV`s Eggheads;

plus, some correctly answered the question which Judith Keppell correctly answered to become the first person to win £1million on ITV`s Who Wants To Be A Miilionaire.

This celebration of the White Room Quiz cannot go without a special mention of @Cleoriff who twice stepped in as WRQ Quizmaster, so I could take part. I should add I didn`t do that well with my answers 😄 .

Thank you everyone, past and present quizzers, who have taken part with WRQ.

It is your quiz, I`m just the QuizMaster, and as long as people want it, the White Room Quiz will continue.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 17

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Congrats to @Mi-Amigo on the anniversary, and thanks for all the brilliant (if brain taxing) questions!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 17

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Oh @Mi-Amigo I cannot believe it is the 4 year anniversary! Of course I am taking part!

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 17

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Four years!! 😮

I remember when you first started making those quizzes @Mi-Amigo, who knew they'd become so big and such a lasting tradition. 🤗 🎉

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 17

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25162 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @jonsie @MI5 @gmarkj @LukasB @EmilieT 

Great to see the "old" managers back.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 8 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Superb achievement @Mi-Amigo and a really great game for everyone.

I do remember standing in for you on a couple of occasions so I know this isn't an easy job. I remember a mess up I made of one of the questions 'Where in the world is it rude to touch someone's head' ? I had so many different answers in, I thought people were wrong. (I thought Nepal). Of course it was most of Asia.😂

Then the catch you out question about the fastest animal on 2 legs and @Marjo put cheetah. 🤣 (I still laugh at that now) joy

So No, not easy at all. Though for me, the hardest bit was posting the answers.

I stored them all in One Note and they wouldn't paste!!

So hats off to you with many thanks for 4 years of hard work. A real learning curve. xx

PS. lovely to see @EmilieT and @LukasB posting on this thread.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 17

BobM
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 4417 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Congratulations @Mi-Amigo - quite an achievement.  The place wouldn't be quite the same without you.

I've been a bit 'in and out' of late and not always able to take part in things the way I'd like, but with a bit of luck the answers to this particular quiz will be heading your way sometime tomorrow.  Thanks for keeping things running smoothly.

Message 10 of 17