Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25145 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 Community 2019 Advent Calendar

Welcome to the Christmas Edition of 

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

There is no selected contestant this week. Instead the White Room Thursday Quiz is open to all members of the O2 Community, who are invited to pm [private message] me - @Mi-Amigo - with their answers. Please do not post your answers on the thead.

TWELVE CHRISTMAS-RELATED QUESTIONS:

Q1 [people]: Where does the impression of Santa as a jolly, round bellied, man with a white beard and rosey cheeks come from?

Q2 [history]: When [from which year to which year] were Christmas celebrations banned in Britain?

Q3 [events]: What event is held annually on Christmas morning in Brighton, despite efforts by council to prevent it? 

Q4 [geography]: There are two Christmas Islands in the world. One is in the Indian Ocean - 400km [250 miles] south of the western end of Java. Where is the other?

Q5 [space]: Who delivered a Christmas message from space on Christmas morning 1968?

Q6 [nature]: Turkeys are said to have been introduced to Britain in the 1520, were eaten by Henry VIII at feasts in 1547, and later became popular as part of Christmas feast. But where did turkeys originate from?

Q7 [games]: What did the Victorian parlour game "Snap Dragon", which was played at Christmas, involve, which would probably make it prohibited today?

Q8 [words]: What item, traditionally displayed at Christmas, has the Latin name viscum album?

Q9 [literature]: How many ghosts visit Snooge in Dicken`s A Christmas Carol?

Q10 [music]: How many gifts - in total - did "my true love send to me", according to the song "Twelve Days Of Christmas"?

Q11 [TV sit-com]: In the TV sit-com Only Fools And Horses, screened on Christmas Day 1989, where did the Jolly Boys Outing coach trip go to?

Q12 [food and drink]: From the 14th century, frumenty [or frumety] was eaten at Christmas. What were the main ingredients of frumenty [frumety]?

Rules:

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

Please send only one pm with all 12 questions and your answers to Mi-Amigo - at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday] 5 December 2019.

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 on Thursday will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

Answers and Results:

The correct answers, will be posted on Friday morning 6 December 2019.

Each member will be awarded a starfor each correct answer.

In addition, all members will be awarded

for 6 correct answers:                 for 10 correct answers:                              for all 12 correct answers:

silver-thinker.jpg                                golden-thinker.jpg                                        diamond-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker                              Golden Thinker                                             Diamond Thinker

Comments on the questions are welcome. I hope as many members as possible join in and have a go at the answers by pming me, and wish everyone "Good luck"

@Mi-Amigo 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Blimey, well done one and all. wink

@MI5  us folk from Sunny Nunny didn't do too badly eh? rofl

Thanks for compiling the quiz @Mi-Amigo  thoroughly enjoyed it. Stretched the brain cells, though if honest, with some of those questions, let's just say it's a good job I have attended a lot of quizzes in my lifetime. tongue_winking

PS still giggling at @Marjo  (A bearded guy in a pub) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 42

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks @Mi-Amigo this was fun! Having never attended quizzes I feel pretty great about my 2 correct answers! grin 

@Cleoriff sweat_smile That was the first thing that came to mind! grin

Message 32 of 42

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I too certainly benefited from pub quizzes and playing trivial pursuits. My daughter also provided one answer due to having to watch her favourite film over and over when she was younger slight_smile
Well done to all slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 33 of 42

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks @Mi-Amigo! I really enjoyed taking part and I'm more then happy with my 3 stars. cool

Well done everyone!

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 34 of 42

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35918 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1589 Solutions
Woohoo!

2 Diamond geezers 💎, a Silver Surfer and a Golden Boy 😁

Great set of questions, thanks for running and co-ordinating all the PMs as we answered, @Mi-Amigo.
Message 35 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
Great quiz!
Message 36 of 42

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Well done @Mi-Amigo for the quiz and to all those taking part.

Can I still enter...... 😂 

Message 37 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Well done @Mi-Amigo for the quiz and to all those taking part.

Can I still enter...... 😂 

LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 38 of 42

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25145 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you everyone for you playing and for your kind comments.

ADVANCED NOTICE

The White Room Thursday Quiz is taking a short break during the time of the Advent Calendar but will return with a New Year Special - posted on Wed 1 Jan 2020.

As with the Christmas Special, there will be no selected contestant but will be open to all members, who will be invited to send their answers in pm [private message] to me - Mi-Amigo. Again, there will be 12 questions, with one star for each correct answer and, in addition, Silver Thinker for 6 correct answers, Golden Thinker for 10 correct answers, and Diamond Thinker for all 12 correct answers.

I hope that all of those who took part in the Christmas Quiz - @Cleoriff ; @MI5 ; @pgn ; @Sy ; @Anonymous ; @Martin-O2 ; @Marjo - those who played along [inc @Anonymous ], those who viewed the quiz [inc @jonsie ], previous quiz contestants [inc @gmarkj@RyanK1992 ], new members, and those who have never taken part before, will all take part in the White Room Thursday Quiz - New Year Special.

I hope you all enjoyed this quiz and would take this opportunity to wish each and everyone of you "Seasons Greetings"

@Mi-Amigo  Bow Thanks!   

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 39 of 42

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35918 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1589 Solutions
Hogmanay, yes! Bring it on.
Message 40 of 42