Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25142 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 Community 2019 Advent Calendar

Welcome to the Christmas Edition of 

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

There is no selected contestant this week. Instead the White Room Thursday Quiz is open to all members of the O2 Community, who are invited to pm [private message] me - @Mi-Amigo - with their answers. Please do not post your answers on the thead.

TWELVE CHRISTMAS-RELATED QUESTIONS:

Q1 [people]: Where does the impression of Santa as a jolly, round bellied, man with a white beard and rosey cheeks come from?

Q2 [history]: When [from which year to which year] were Christmas celebrations banned in Britain?

Q3 [events]: What event is held annually on Christmas morning in Brighton, despite efforts by council to prevent it? 

Q4 [geography]: There are two Christmas Islands in the world. One is in the Indian Ocean - 400km [250 miles] south of the western end of Java. Where is the other?

Q5 [space]: Who delivered a Christmas message from space on Christmas morning 1968?

Q6 [nature]: Turkeys are said to have been introduced to Britain in the 1520, were eaten by Henry VIII at feasts in 1547, and later became popular as part of Christmas feast. But where did turkeys originate from?

Q7 [games]: What did the Victorian parlour game "Snap Dragon", which was played at Christmas, involve, which would probably make it prohibited today?

Q8 [words]: What item, traditionally displayed at Christmas, has the Latin name viscum album?

Q9 [literature]: How many ghosts visit Snooge in Dicken`s A Christmas Carol?

Q10 [music]: How many gifts - in total - did "my true love send to me", according to the song "Twelve Days Of Christmas"?

Q11 [TV sit-com]: In the TV sit-com Only Fools And Horses, screened on Christmas Day 1989, where did the Jolly Boys Outing coach trip go to?

Q12 [food and drink]: From the 14th century, frumenty [or frumety] was eaten at Christmas. What were the main ingredients of frumenty [frumety]?

Rules:

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

Please send only one pm with all 12 questions and your answers to Mi-Amigo - at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday] 5 December 2019.

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 on Thursday will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

Answers and Results:

The correct answers, will be posted on Friday morning 6 December 2019.

Each member will be awarded a starfor each correct answer.

In addition, all members will be awarded

for 6 correct answers:                 for 10 correct answers:                              for all 12 correct answers:

silver-thinker.jpg                                golden-thinker.jpg                                        diamond-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker                              Golden Thinker                                             Diamond Thinker

Comments on the questions are welcome. I hope as many members as possible join in and have a go at the answers by pming me, and wish everyone "Good luck"

@Mi-Amigo 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Mi-Amigo
  • 25142 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Sy - pm received...

I think it`s gonna be fun when the answers are given tomorrow, with who got which questions correct, how many stars each of you got, and who has been awarded a Thinker trophy....    

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 21 of 42

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144286 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
I'm having a go as it's Christmas and I think I know most of them slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 42

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

I'm passing I'm afrad @Mi-Amigo 

I'm not in a position to be able to think straight at the moment.

Message 23 of 42

Mi-Amigo
  • 25142 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for joining in @MI5 - pm received. Good luck with your answers

@jonsie wrote:

I'm passing I'm afrad @Mi-Amigo 

I'm not in a position to be able to think straight at the moment.

Sorry to hear this, @jonsie and I hope you are feeling better soon Handshake

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 24 of 42

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Mi-Amigo
  • 25142 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

and also thank you @pgn for pming your answers, which were received earlier this evening 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 26 of 42

Mi-Amigo
  • 25142 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE WHITE ROOM THURSDAY QUIZ - CHRISTMAS SPECIAL

THE ANSWERS:

Q1 [people]: Where does the impression of Santa as a jolly, round bellied, man with a white beard and rosey cheeks come from?

A1: NOT Coca-Cola ads, created by Haddon Sundblam in Dec 1931 and who continued produce Xmas ads with Santa for Coca-Cola until 1964.

correct answer: cartoon illustration of Clement Clarke Moore`s "A Visit From St Nicholas" [later known as "Twas The Night Before Christmas"] in 1857; and later illustrations by Thomas Nash in 1860s. 

Q2 [history]: When [from which year to which year] were Christmas celebrations banned in Britain?

A2: During Puritan Parliament - 1647-1660. Ordinance for Abolishing of Festivals passed 8 June 1647, by which Xmas [and other festivals] no longer to be observed; Directory of Public Worship passed in Jan 1654, by which Xmas [and other festivals] not to be celebrated but spent in contemplation; laws in 1656 ensured shops and markets stayed open on Xmas Day. After Charles II restored to throne in 1660, previous legislation banning Xmas was overturned.

Q3 [events]: What event is held annually on Christmas morning in Brighton, despite efforts by council to prevent it?

A3: swimming in the sea 

Q4 [geography]: There are two Christmas Islands in the world. One is in the Indian Ocean - 400km [250 miles] south of the western end of Java. Where is the other?

A4: Pacific Ocean - Kiritimati, 3200km [2000 miles] east of Tarawa - discovered by Captn Cook in 1777. 

Q5 [space]: Who delivered a Christmas message from space on Christmas morning 1968?

A5: Crew of Apollo 8 - Frank Borman, Jim Lovell, Bill Anders - after having circled the moon, quoted on Christmas morning 1968 from Genesis Ch 1 verses 1-10, then Borman said "And from the crew of Apollo 8, we close with `goodnight`, `good luck`, and `a merry Xmas` - and God bless all of you - all of you on the good Earth" 

Q6 [nature]: Turkeys are said to have been introduced to Britain in the 1520, were eaten by Henry VIII at feasts in 1547, and later became popular as part of Christmas feast. But where did turkeys originate from?

A6: not from turkey.

correct answer is North America by William Strickland, who acquired six birds from Native Americans in 1526 and brought them to England. Spanish traders took birds from Mexico to Spain in 1520s, from where turkeys were taken throughout Europe, and brought to England in late 1520s by Turkish traders, and so were called "turkeycocks".  

Q7 [games]: What did the Victorian parlour game "Snap Dragon", which was played at Christmas, involve, which would probably make it prohibited today?

A7: players attempted snatching or dunking for raisons in dish of lighted brandy

Q8 [words]: What item, traditionally displayed at Christmas, has the Latin name viscum album?

A8: mistletoe

Q9 [literature]: How many ghosts visit Snooge in Dicken`s A Christmas Carol?

A9: four - Marley`s ghost; ghost of Xmas past, Xmas present, Xmas future

Q10 [music]: How many gifts - in total - did "my true love send to me", according to the song "Twelve Days Of Christmas"?

A10: not 78 [1 gift on day 1, 2 gifts on day 2 etc] - this was the QI-style question.

correct answer: 364 - 12 partidges [1 on days 1-12]; 22 turtle doves [2 on days 2-12]; 30 French hens [3 on days 3-12]; 36 calling birds [4 on days 4-12]; 40 gold rings [5 on days 5-12]; 42 geese [6 on days 6-12]; 42 swans [7 on days 7-12]; 40 maids [8 on days 8-12]; 36 ladies [9 on days 9-12]; 30 lords [10 on days 10-12]; 22 pipers [11 on days 11-12]; 12 drummers [12 on day 12]

Q11 [TV sit-com]: In the TV sit-com Only Fools And Horses, screened on Christmas Day 1989, where did the Jolly Boys Outing coach trip go to?

A11: Margate

Q12 [food and drink]: From the 14th century, frumenty [or frumety] was eaten at Christmas. What were the main ingredients of frumenty [frumety]?

A12: a porridge of wheat and milk, later sugar, eggs, fruit added

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 27 of 42

Mi-Amigo
  • 25142 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE RESULTS FOR EACH PLAYER

[in order pm received]

@Cleoriff

A1: correct = awarded star; A2: correct = awarded star; A3: correct = awarded star; A4 correct = awarded star; A5 correct = awarded star; A6 correct = awarded star; A7 correct = awarded star; A8 correct = awarded star; A9 correct = awarded star ; A10 correct = awarded star; A11 correct = awarded star; A12 correct = awarded star  plus - as all questions answered correctly, also awarded:

diamond-thinker.jpg

Diamond Thinker

@Anonymous 

A1 correct = awarded star; A2 1940-45 - incorrect, not banned during WWII; A3 London-Brighton run - incorrect; A4, A6, A7, A10, A12 - no answers; A5 Buzz Aldrin incorrect; A8 mistletoe - correct = awarded star; A9 four ghosts - correct = awarded star; A11 Brighton incorrect. Total 3 stars

@Marjo 

A1 bearded guy in pub - incorrect; A2 1895-1896 - incorrect; A3 burning animal-looking pile of hay - incorrect; A4 near Bermuda Triangle incorrect; A5 Neil Armstrong - incorrect; A6 Canada [as N America is correct answer, I`ll allow it] - awarded star; A7 finger snaps - incorrect; A8 mistletoe - correct = awarded star; A9 five ghosts - incorrect; A10 25 gifts - incorrect; A11 outdoor cinema - incorrect; A12 raisons, dried fruit - incorrect. Total 2 stars.

other entries to follow....

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 28 of 42

Mi-Amigo
  • 25142 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Results - continued:

@Martin-O2 

A1 Coca-Cola ad - incorrect; A2 Middle Ages - incorrect; A3 swimming - correct = awarded star; A4 Antarctica - incorrect; A5 Apollo 9 crew - incorrect; A6 N America - correct = awarded star; A7 fingers in toy dragon - incorrect; A8 holly bush - incorrect; A9 3 ghosts - incorrect; A10 78 gifts - incorrect; A11 Margate - correct = awarded star; A12 fermented fruit - incorrect. Total 3 stars

@Sy 

A1 correct = awarded star; A2 correct = awarded star; A3 correct = awarded star; A4 correct = awarded star; A5 correct = awarded star; A6 correct = awarded star; A7; A12 - no answers; A8 correct = awarded star; A9 correct = awarded star; A10 - 78 gifts, incorrect; A11 correct = awarded star. Total 9 stars [plus, for 9 correct answers also awarded:

silver-thinker.jpg    

Silver Thinker [just missing out on Golden Thinker]

@MI5 

A1 correct = awarded star; A2 correct = awarded star; A3 correct = awarded star; A4 correct = awarded star; A5 correct = awarded star; A6 correct = awarded star; A7 correct = awarded star; A8 correct = awarded star; A9 correct = awarded star; A10 correct = awarded star; A11 correct = awarded star; A12 correct = awarded star. Total 12 stars [plus, for all 12 correct answers, awarded

diamond-thinker.jpg

Diamond Thinker.

@pgn 

A1 Coca-Cola - incorrect; A2 correct = awarded star; A3 correct = awarded star; A4 correct = awarded star; A5 correct = awarded star; A6 gave Mexico [as turkeys from Mexico taken to Spain, and were brought to England - albeit after N American - I`ll allow it and award star]; A7 correct = awarded star; A8 correct = awarded star; A9 correct = awarded star; A10 365 gifts - incorrect; A11 correct = awarded star; A12 correct = awarded star. Total 10 stars [plus, for 10 correct answers, also awarded

golden-thinker.jpg

Golden Thinker

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 29 of 42

Mi-Amigo
  • 25142 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks to all of those who played this game. I hope you enjoyed it.

Congratulations to the award winners:

diamond-thinker.jpg

DIAMOND THINKER =  @Cleoriff  and @MI5 

golden-thinker.jpg

GOLDEN THINKER  =  @pgn 

silver-thinker.jpg

SILVER THINKER    = @Sy 

Well done to all the other players for tackling these difficult questions.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 30 of 42