Did you mean: 

New 10 pound note arrives tomorrow

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone,

Almost year to the day from the launch of the new polymer 5 pound note, its big brother the 10 pound note arrives tomorrow! Like the fiver, the new 10 pound note is made of a plastic polymer and is cleaner, will last longer and can even survive a trip through the washing machine! The note will feature the 19th century author Jane Austen, who is most well known for the Pride & Prejudice novel. 

Last years fiver caused some upset to the vegan and some religious communities as the polymer contained trace amounts of tallow which comes from animal fat. Unfortunately the 10 pound note will still contain tallow, as will the planned twenty pound note due in 2020. 

On the plus side the new notes feature enhanced security features such as micro lettering and holograms and will have raised areas to help the blind and partially sighted slight_smile

After using the new style fivers for a year what do you think of them? Are you a fan or would you like to return to the more traditional notes? 

Further reading

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 16.28.45.png

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 84
83 REPLIES 83

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

My friends use the same system for stag parties but call it a "whip", as in whip round! Great way to avoid mucking about getting rounds in laughing

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 61 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

Screen Shot 20**Personal info** at 16.28.45.png

I like the polymer notes ... they're cleaner ... will last longer ... be more difficult to forge 

I understand what has been said above  ^  ^  ^  about trying to count them as I believe they are 'springy' & to count out a new batch of notes = they stick together

That said, they fit in my wallet neatly ... & ... I have no need to fold them

Att did not like the choice of Jane Austen ... ... ... would have preferred Sir Winston Churchill & still do 

Message 62 of 84

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
In a previous job I had to do all the banking and I can only imagine how many times you would have to count the new notes to make sure none are sticking together.
As a user they do seem as though they will survive the daily rigours of life much better, just glad I don't work in a cash office any more!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 63 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gmarkj wrote:
In a previous job I had to do all the banking and I can only imagine how many times you would have to count the new notes to make sure none are sticking together.
As a user they do seem as though they will survive the daily rigours of life much better, just glad I don't work in a cash office any more!!

When I was a Civil Servant (best paid job I had, but the worst for 9 years) ... = ... clerical officer grade, actually an assistant tax collector in The Inland Revenue Collectors Department, when it was split into The Inspectors & The DHSS ... ... ... now it is HMRC Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs ... ... ... well point is @gmarkj we each had an orange pimpled rubber finger bung & a dish wih a piece of foam in which you could moisten with water ... = ... this aided counting cash ... indeed ... it was commom practice ... do they still have this facility in The Post Office? ... or ... the banks / building societies where  cash needs to be counted #just saying

Message 64 of 84

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous I believe Churchill is on the 5 pound notes so at least he's featured somewhere! 

I really hadn't considered the difficulties in counting large numbers of the new style notes until reading some of the comments in this thread. Really feeling for those who have to do this! frowning

Has anyone got their hands on a new note yet? Think I'm guna break a £20 on lunch to see if I can get one in my change laughing

signature

Message 65 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Martin-O2

Up here in Skipton, North Yorkshire it will be a while before they filter through the system to us

Message 66 of 84

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Well let us know once they start to make an appearance @Anonymous! 

signature

Message 67 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Martin-O2 wrote:

Well let us know once they start to make an appearance @Anonymous! 

Of course I will @Martin-O2

It would be nice if other members of The Community Family could let us know when they 1st get their mitts on one 

Message 68 of 84

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I just broke a £20 but got the old style in change unamused I'll let you know soon as one turns up smiling

signature

Message 69 of 84

Cleoriff
  • 122387 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

I just broke a £20 but got the old style in change unamused I'll let you know soon as one turns up smiling

And I thought you were totally 'cashless' @Martin-O2 relieved

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 70 of 84