Did you mean: 

New 10 pound note arrives tomorrow

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone,

Almost year to the day from the launch of the new polymer 5 pound note, its big brother the 10 pound note arrives tomorrow! Like the fiver, the new 10 pound note is made of a plastic polymer and is cleaner, will last longer and can even survive a trip through the washing machine! The note will feature the 19th century author Jane Austen, who is most well known for the Pride & Prejudice novel. 

Last years fiver caused some upset to the vegan and some religious communities as the polymer contained trace amounts of tallow which comes from animal fat. Unfortunately the 10 pound note will still contain tallow, as will the planned twenty pound note due in 2020. 

On the plus side the new notes feature enhanced security features such as micro lettering and holograms and will have raised areas to help the blind and partially sighted slight_smile

After using the new style fivers for a year what do you think of them? Are you a fan or would you like to return to the more traditional notes? 

Further reading

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 16.28.45.png

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 84
83 REPLIES 83

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

But it seems the small time forgers filled their boots with the simple to fake £1.00 coin....of course it takes the eastern Europeans longer to make huge fortunes whereas forging a £50 note or 500€ note is obviously much lucrative but with that comes a much higher risk of being caught.

Message 81 of 84

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
As regards £1 coins......scrap metal dealers......I'll say no more except now it is infinitely more difficult to produce counterfeit £1 coins.

"Black money" abounds within the EU....Italy, Spain etc which made 500€ notes quite popular.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 82 of 84

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@ComaChameleon such large notes.wouldn't really work here. As @Beenherebefore has said the larger the note the easier to counterfeit.

And few of us are wealthy enough to be able to draw such large sums from our bank account.

And, of course, most of us use cards to buy goods, particularly more expensive items.

Even in the US, few people carried notes higher than $50. $100 biĺls often weren't accepted because there were so many counterfeit notes in circulation. I think there were larger notes as well but I never saw one.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 83 of 84

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

They actually try to copy the smaller notes more... It's not that controlled. Or the 50 Cent coin.... There are sooooo many false ones (If you once know how to see it, you see so much of them 😮   )

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 84 of 84