Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Warning Road Sign

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23099 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

An interesting first. Too bad it can't record the user.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-44771962

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122978 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Excellent idea, needs a camera....

Indeed it does @jonsie Bottom line we all know the rules about using mobile phones when driving.

Unless there is a camera, those who break the rules will continue to do so....frowning2

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

There's a flaw here. Or two actually. 

A lot of manufacturers are starting to include 4G access into cars so how would the detector differentiate between a legal use of a mobile device of a passenger and the driver? Indeed, if you're using a mobile 4G data only device then Bluetooth detection is irrelevant as you have wifi. Some people use BT streaming from their device to the car stereo unit and if you're streaming music, then this sign is going to be triggered. So if thats the case, then aren't we on the (bad pun time) road to banning the likes of Google Maps which provides live updates over the mobile network?

All it would then take to bypass the law (should it actually get to that stage of having these signs used as prosecution) is to simply put a BT device in your car and claim it was accessing it at the time updating realtime data.

I really have no hopes for this trial long term as for an example, as you enter my village there is a speed sign that lights up when you do 30MPH. Except it works at 20MPH so everyone who knows, ignores it because they've already decreased their speed by the countdown signs to 30MPH 100Metres beforehand. And that becomes the problem as people will end up ignoring it because its faulty. 

I'll be really cynical here, if the government and councils are willing to spend thousands of pounds on this, why aren't they spending the money on repairing roads/putting & updatings decent signs or is it another easy way to extract cash from the motorist?

Sheepdog in "I've actually activated a speed camera in a 60 zone doing 45mph and less. Twice." mode

Message 4 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23099 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

Why would you go to the trouble of putting a bluetooth device in your car and not use it? If the cameras were used for prosecution, it would be because someone was seen with the phone to their ear whilst driving. I don't understand why anyone would do that nowadays anyway. Bluetooth devices are cheap as chips, and many new cars have hands free built in. If you are using your phone to your ear while driving these days, you'd have to be a total idiot, and you deserve to be prosecuted. I think these warning signs are a good start, but it has to go farther.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 12

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

You'd be surprised how many idiots own a flashy phone with all the gizmos and can't be bothered connecting it to their flashy car stereo and prefer to wait for it....use the speaker phone! 

Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122978 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Well we don't come into that category....flashy phone connected up in flashy car ....lucky me wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
There are idiots using mobiles, phone to their ear still. I see them in the King's Road all the time. And these are new cars that must have Bluetooth.

I think it's a case of they won't catch me. Makes me very nervous crossing the road, which is when I see the majority of the fools on their phones.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
More info

@Bambino wrote:

Why would you go to the trouble of putting a bluetooth device in your car and not use it? If the cameras were used for prosecution, it would be because someone was seen with the phone to their ear whilst driving. I don't understand why anyone would do that nowadays anyway. Bluetooth devices are cheap as chips, and many new cars have hands free built in. If you are using your phone to your ear while driving these days, you'd have to be a total idiot, and you deserve to be prosecuted. I think these warning signs are a good start, but it has to go farther.

There is evidence to suggest that using a hands-free device can be just as dangerous, and it’s safer to turn your phone off when you’re driving. It’s worth noting that if you’re involved in a road traffic accident while using hands-free equipment, and there is evidence that you weren’t in full control of your vehicle, then you could still face prosecution. 

I quite like the fact that my iPhone doesn’t receive calls when I’m driving (I daresay that Android devices have a similar feature), and to be honest, if a call is that important, then they’ll call me back.

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39133018/mobile-phones-what-you-can-and-cant-do-when-youre-dri...

Message 9 of 12

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I totally agree @Anonymous. And there's also voicemail. It's easy to turn your phone on again when you reach your destination and can return any calls that require your immediate attention.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 10 of 12