Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious Message

LubbyDubby
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I contacted O2 via live chat this morning in order to try and improve my current deal. After some to-ing and fro-ing, we didn’t get anywhere. Fine. So I call them using the legitimate 0344 809 0202 number. After I’ve spoken to the voice and given my details, i receive a text saying ‘Your account has been accessed by another number. Please contact O2 if this is not you’. The meaning of this seems vague and the wording sounds rather dodgy. Does it simply mean my account has been accessed by somebody at the call centre? I was rather concerned. I then received a further message saying ‘O2 Warning: Hi, we've had multiple attempts to access your O2 mobile account through our contact centers. If you didn't call us then please contact O2 so we can protect your account. Thanks’ I did call them:

I called O2 several times (using the above number) trying to get someone on the line who sounded half-competent. I eventually desisted and spoke to one of them. He sounded incredibly shifty and unhelpful. Without wanting to sound, or be un-PC, they are all Indian and it’s difficult to try and understand half the things they’re saying, or for them to understand my teuchter accent! He wasn’t able to understand what I was saying about the text messages, so I eventually gave up and asked about a better deal, but nope couldn’t help me there either. 

My questions in a nutshell: 

1. Are the message legitimate and do I have anything to be concerned about? (I changed my password etc. and checked O2 account and my bank account - all fine. 

2. Is there a mobile provider with better customer service based in Britain, who can actually provide help when needed? (One who is anti poor customer service a la Octopus Energy, potentially?)

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5813 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@LubbyDubby 

I think the texts are probably legitimate. In contacting the call centre, you have attempted to access your account. This is giving you the opportunity to tell O2 if the caller was not you.

Unfortunately, this is a customer to customer community so we cannot access your account. If you want to check this further without 'phoning O2, you can message on social media :-

Facebook : https://o2uk.co/O2CFB

X (previously known as Twitter) : https://o2uk.co/O2CTW

Instagram : https://o2uk.co/O2CIG

A complete schedule of how to contact O2 is in :-

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Customer Service is mediocre across the UK mobile 'phone networks. You can look on the other operators' customer forums to get a flavour of the problems each is encountering. However, please bear in mind that O2 will seem to have many more problems than the competition because they have a far greater number of customers. 👍 

Message 2 of 2