Did you mean: 

Happy Birthday, Smartphone!

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi guys, 

No, it's not the Birthday of a mysterious member called Smartphone, but the anniversary of the release of the very first smartphone!

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 14.06.32.png

The IBM Simon Personal Communicator, considered to be the first smartphone, went on sale on 16 August 1994, 24 years ago today. It had a touchscreen, email capability, apps, and was the first stepping stone towards our beloved current digital companions. We've come such a long way since 1994 slight_smile

Did any of you have an IBM Simon?

What was YOUR very first smartphone?

I'm very curious to see your replies, and please join me in wishing all smartphones around the world a very

happy Birthdaballon

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36047 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

I went from Motorola Timeport L7089 (on Genie, or BT Cellnet, I forget) through some excellent Sony Ericsson "i" phones, including the Sony Walkman (orange and black, forget the number - W850i?) to my first  "smartphone" in the SE range, the P1i. With its alphanumeric keypad and stylus, it replaced my need to carry both a phone AND a PalmPilot.

Does time not fly when you're having fun? Dance

Message 11 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing I do miss about some of those early phones, is that they tended to have exceptional battery life. A good four or five days usage was pretty much the norm (for some of the nokias, it was probably even longer).

Nowadays, we're almost chuffed that our smartphone has lasted most of the day  Smiley Indifferent

Message 12 of 17

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Smartphones are actually just portable computers with communication abilities in a more traditional fashion these days.

My first Sony phone was a walkman phone. One of the first to have front facing camera and video calling capability.

My first smartphone was a basic Samsung Europa.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 13 of 17

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
My first Sony was a Sony CMD-X2000
Back when a jog-dial was a unique and rare thing...
Message 14 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

My first rule with any phone is if it doesn't work well as a phone, it goes back or gets sold.

I had a Blackberry Pearl 3G which I hated so it got sold.

Next I had an HTC Desire S.

Nice device but didn't work well as a phone (didn't hang onto signal and thus call quality wasn't great)

Having owned an Ericsson S868, SE W300 and a K800i previously I next tried an SE Xperia Ray.

Nice phone but again not great for reception.

My next choice was a Samaung Galaxy Ace 2 which worked well as a smartphone and a phone, swapped when it became clear the software maintainence had reached the end of the road.

Next was an Ace 3, again great.

Message 15 of 17

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

True story, 

I have the very first Sony Xperia device, the Xperia X1 still sealed and unopened boxed.

20180822_164551.jpg

Message 16 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:

True story, 

I have the very first Sony Xperia device, the Xperia X1 still sealed and unopened boxed.

20180822_164551.jpg

WOW @viridis 

My first smartphone was a Nokia Lumia 640 lte

My first mobile phone was a basic Nokia (no camera, I believe) on Orange network

I change phones every 24 months unless irrevocably damaged by water (twice)

Message 17 of 17