cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family at Christmas time

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 Community 2019 Advent Calendar

My family of dad Roy, mum Olwen and sister Caroline in the family home in West Yorkshire ... lovely holiday at home this time of year ... dad was off work from Christmas Eve to 1 January as it would be then, so he relaxed enjoying his home, well we all did together ... dad loved Christmas = he watched us 3 open our presents on Christmas morning being happy seeing the joy on our faces ... only when all our presents had been opened would my dear dad open his = so we 3 were then happy to see the expression on dad's face.

Family means everything to me, always has ... Christmas time is so special ... we are a small family ... this time of year, when all the stressful stuff has been done, it becomes magical ... well, except the year when mum threw a wobbly and dad volunteered to cook the turkey dinner with help from his 2 daughters ...  *Ahem*  ... dad stuffed the turkey up the wrong end LOL.

Being married, so then there were 2 of us ... then having my son Alex = so then there were 3 of us for a while ... then me and Alex (after divorce) ... now just me and my cat Marty cat.

Marty in Christmas mood

Christmas time often means travelling to family as during my marriage we were regularly moving home around the country with my then husband's career of landscape architect / urban designer ... varying our time with parents and in-laws over Christmas time ... A special Christmas time was when my then husband was working abroad and we lived in the small village of Fleckney in Leicestershire = my mum and dad travelled to be with Alex and me, I loved providing them with hopefully a Happy Christmas ... An extra special Christmas time was when my son and me had our 1st Christmas together here in North Yorkshire.

This Christmas time I shall be with my cat Marty ... my daughter-in-law, a pharmacist, only has Christmas Day and Boxing Day off work ... maybe I shall be able to arrange to visit my son Alex in Leeds going by train. 

Marty in Christmas mood

What are some of your favourite family moments from Christmas time? slight_smile

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Awww that’s fab @Anonymous
Message 11 of 28

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

It's already been a disaster for me.....

I'm saddened to hear this @jonsie hugging

I shall be with my cat Marty cat

However, my son Alex rang me today whilst driving home from work - upshot is he is coming over with his wife Emma on 21 December for a festive lunch at Herriots, which is kind of my 2nd home.

I am really, really looking forward to having their company.

I havn't seen them in some time ... so ... it's a great thing 

That's really good to know @Anonymous I hope you have a lovely time smiling

Message 12 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Great news @Anonymous hugging

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 28

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hope you have a really good time @Anonymous 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 14 of 28

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Perfect @Anonymous
Enjoy it have a great day.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 15 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your kind wishes @Cleoriff @jonsie @Mi-Amigo @TallTrees @Anonymous 

I've got used to being on my own Christmas Day and Boxing Day ... it's not so bad ... many people worse off than me at this time of year

Message 16 of 28

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all for your kind wishes @Cleoriff @jonsie @Mi-Amigo @TallTrees @Anonymous 

I've got used to being on my own Christmas Day and Boxing Day ... it's not so bad ... many people worse off than me at this time of year

Yes indeed. As much as I feel sorry for myself, at least I have a certain quality of life that many other people don't. It's the homeless, the patients in hospitals and the elderly with no family support that I feel more sorry for. We all have to count our blessings. This community provides people with support, friendship and camaraderie so that you are never really alone....

Message 17 of 28

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It's the homeless, the patients in hospitals and the elderly with no family support that I feel more sorry for. We all have to count our blessings. This community provides people with support, friendship and camaraderie so that you are never really alone....

What @jonsie said ^^^

Waiting to get into hospital, either for scheduled work or for emergency treatment, in the Uk sounds like an ordeal at the moment.

The Trust in charge of our local hospital accident and emergency dept has put out messages like this recently:

20**Personal info** 18_13_03-Western Trust.png

Message 18 of 28

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's only last week that Bolton hospital was on an unprecedented black alert and issued the same notice.

Message 19 of 28

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have lots of memories of Christmas, some good some bad.

My parents split when I was very young and one year I'd been staying with my father and grand parents and when I returned home a few days before christmas, we'd had a fire in the house and it had burned all our presents and the entire living room.  We were a poor family but my family still managed to scrape together a nice christmas for us.

Thanks

Steve
Message 20 of 28