cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas adverts - which ones did you like most?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

I don't know about you, but over the Holidays season I'm always looking forward to the Christmas adverts. Every year, companies come up with adorable, heartwarming and funny ads that I can't get enough of! Of course not all of them are a success, but done well, a Christmas ad can be quite something hugging

Over the years, which Christmas ads did you like the most? Are there some from the previous years, or 2018, that you like particularly?

Here are two from this year that I found lovely:

I'm looking forward to see your favourite ones! tv

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't watch tv but I had to see the Aldi adverts when I heard about Kevin's struggles.

Message 2 of 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123126 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

My favourite advert have always been the ones from John Lewis

This year I think they messed up, paying millions for Elton John and then showing a £900 piano at the end of it.

I found it a bit elitist if honest. Not everyone could afford that for their child!

Bring back Buster the Boxer on the trampoline!!

I am preferring the one from Aldi with the adventures of Kevin the Carrot...

He then goes on to have many adventures leading up to Christmas joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12101 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions
Agree about the John Lewis one. Previous versions were far better.
In fairness I think that this year everyone is a bit below last year's standards.
The two that stand out are the Aldi Kevin one and the banned Iceland palm oil one (why that was banned I still don't know).
I also rather liked the Lidl response to the JL ad - pointing out that you don't need about £900 to get a piano when they do a full sized keyboard for £90!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 123126 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Agree about the John Lewis one. Previous versions were far better.
In fairness I think that this year everyone is a bit below last year's standards.
The two that stand out are the Aldi Kevin one and the banned Iceland palm oil one (why that was banned I still don't know).
I also rather liked the Lidl response to the JL ad - pointing out that you don't need about £900 to get a piano when they do a full sized keyboard for £90!

I saw that response from Lidl @gmarkj though they must have been selling a different one as they said No need to pay £896 for a paino when we have this keyboard for your child at £18.99 joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 15

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Cleoriff Not a fan of John Lewis Christmas adverts. Just really don't see the point of why would I want to shop there (not that I live anywhere near one anyway) and they're overblown and expensive. But this year's one with Elton John cannot be taken seriously when he's done this one:

Also, just because we need an anti-christmas advert thread which I started last year. ahem, er, I think I won. Talking of which, where's the christmas jumper this year @Wa10?

Message 6 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12101 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions
The site I checked it on (not linking due to annoying autoplay adverts!) showed a tweet about it being £89.99?
But happy if there is a cheaper one!
Also saw the snickers ads - those have been a little different but that was my favorite.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 123126 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Re Iceland. It was a dirty political move as far as I am concerned.

I think they thought it would upset world leaders.

Tragic, as it would have been the most powerful Christmas/ Conservation advert ever.

Here it is anyway....they haven't banned me from posting it !

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 123126 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@sheepdog

Someone has recorded a parody of the John Lewis Ad with Elton John joy

In fact there are lots of them including the Geordie version called Wor Song. Which I can't post here joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 15

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I don't watch TV much either @Anonymous, but I do like finding the Christmas ads online every year to see what they're like santa

Kevin the Carrot is great @Cleoriff, love it joy

And so was the Iceland advert @gmarkj, although on a very different level. 

@sheepdog I hadn't seen this Snickers ad before, thanks for sharing! 

Any favourite John lewis out from over the years? There's been so many and so many great ones really, it'd be interesting to know if one stood out for you guys snowflake

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 15