Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Latest Scam!

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I just received a text purporting to be from HSBC saying my account had been suspended for security reasons, and asking me to contact them to enable access to my online banking account.

Now this text might have concerned me but for 2 reasons:

My bank never text me. Either they send me an email or they telephone me and, more importantly, I bank with RBS, The Royal Bank of Scotland! 

I just deleted the text but I wonder how many people will respond today, even though they don't bank with HSBC? Even if it's just to say they don't bank with HSBC.

There's a new scam every day.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Thanks for the heads up on this @Glory1

I DO have one account with HSBC, so I will be on the lookout for it. Having said that, I have just checked my account and everything is in order...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on this @Glory1

I DO have one account with HSBC, so I will be on the lookout for it. Having said that, I have just checked my account and everything is in order...

No problem @Cleoriff. I thought it worth warning people as who knows how many texts have been sent. And they're bound to get lucky and actually reach a number of  HSBC customers who will respond without a thought, reading their account has been suspended.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Glory1 These types of scams have been going around for years. Chances are if you mouse over the link they provide it isn't  a valid bank address. Apart from that, no bank should ask you to provide a username or password in an email. If you haven't deleted the email, forward it here: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

I have had a similar text but it was around 3 months ago. There are so many of these sent out and no doubt some people who bank with them will respond. If only one person is taken in, it's worthwhile to these scum.

I get alerts from my three banks about transactions, about being overdrawn and about statements. I only ever respond or react by going online through the correct gateway.

Bustards the lot of them!

Message 5 of 5