Did you mean: 

CES 2019 - Daily Round up!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

This years CES (Consumer Electronics Show) officially kicked off today in Las Vegas and it's shaping up to be another great show for those with even a passing interest in technology! 

Below, we've detailed some of the cool tech showcased at the event and will provide a daily round-up of the new tech and gadgets for the duration of the show! 

First up we have the Samsung 75-INCH MICROLED 4K TV. This fantastic TV comes in at a whopping 75 inch and combines Samsung's QLED and OLED technology to give you an amazingly clear picture with true blacks due to the lack of back light. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 19.34.43.png

Continuing the TV theme LG's CINEBEAM LASER 4K projector will display a 90 inch picture on any surface. The projector can be controlled using voice and hand gestures! 

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 19.34.56.png

Next up is one for those who hate doing the laundry! The FOLDIMATE LAUNDRY-FOLDING MACHINE will fold an entire load of washing in 5 minutes. The machine won't be able to fold large items like bed linen but it could be a real time saver to have around the house. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 19.34.33.png

The final item in today's roundup is the KOHLER NUMI 2.0 INTELLIGENT TOILET! This smart toilet is packed with features including a heated seat, self cleaning/drying and if that's not enough it has built in Amazon Alexa with speakers and colour-changing lights! 

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 19.34.06.png

We'll be updating this topic with new technology and gadgets at the end of each day during CS! 

What do you guys think of the new tech unveiled today and is there anything not on the list that you're impressed with? 

Source

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10760 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

@dgilbert2 wrote:

@Martin-O2nothing really exciting for me, anything really "big" on the Smarthome or Home security front?

I would have liked to see more Home Security tech too.  As here we have been abandoned by our local police station and our street lights go out at midnight to 6am it is becoming "frontier" living.  sweat_smile

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 31 of 50

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

...... our street lights go out at midnight to 6am it is becoming "frontier" living.  sweat_smile

Our council does that also between midnight and 6AM. I really do not like it, they claim crime does not increase. I don't believe it! unamused

Message 32 of 50

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@dgilbert2 wrote:

@TallTrees wrote:

...... our street lights go out at midnight to 6am it is becoming "frontier" living.  sweat_smile

Our council does that also between midnight and 6AM. I really do not like it, they claim crime does not increase. I don't believe it! unamused

Neither do I! It also increases the fear factor of the elderly, vulnerable and infirm.

The council should take that into consideration...though they won't.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 50

TallTrees
  • 10760 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

@dgilbert2 wrote:

@TallTrees wrote:

That is absolutely not true here ~ they look around during daylight then return when in complete darkness ~ It's a gift.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 34 of 50

TallTrees
  • 10760 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Absolutely correct @Cleoriff not true at all.  

My neighbours are not techy and don't think of auto pir floodlights

and anyway they are expensive to get put in.  

The lights are out when they are most needed. 

No police in town,  no lights it's ridiculous.

No Community Police now either.  

Yes and you are right they feel vulnerable and they are. worried

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 35 of 50

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

When we had trouble, the Auto PIR lights made no difference, the "people" snooping round never battered an eye lid. They are good though when your out and about yourself.

Its an awful world we live in at times, wish I knew the answer.

We now keep all gates locked, have blocked rear access into the garden and improved all door and windows locks. We also changed some large glass panels (eg patios windows) to laminated glass, makes it much harder to break and get entry! (Toughened just shatters and leaves great big gaping holes)

Message 36 of 50

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I've just found, and have been reading your posts @Martin-O2 and people's comments.

They seem to be making TVs larger and larger. How many people have the space for a 75" TV, even wall-mounted? Or the money to pay for it? It's only for the super rich in their mansions. 

I'm waiting, possibly in vain for a smaller 4K TV, 32" max as I have a small flat and my 32" TV is just perfect. Any bigger and the TV would take over the flat.

A talking toilet. No thanks. I really don't want to interact with my toilet. And I avoid Alexa on my phone and tablet, so I certainly don't want her talking to me on the toilet. And disco lights, why? Do you party while attending to business?!

Robots, don't like them and don't want them in my home. If I get to the point where I need help remembering to take my medication, I'll go into a home.

Edited to add re the comments about street lighting. Thank God I live in a London borough where the council maintain our street lights. I don't often go out of an evening but when I do at least I know I won't be coming back to a dark street. I'd never go out at night if that were the case!

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 37 of 50

TallTrees
  • 10760 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Read all your comments @Glory1 All are sound,

Years ago I found a very small monitor JVC 6 inches of screen and colour absolutely wonderful could

go anywhere, kitchen, bedroom etc.

I too am looking for a small size neat TV  

RE

Street Lights ~ quite right your Council got some sense, when you need lights is in the late evening

through to daylight ~ why put lights in then not happy.   weary

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 38 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable

The OhMiBod items at CES certainly raised a few eyebrows 👍

Message 39 of 50

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Evening @TallTrees

A 32" TV is hardly small. I own a lot of films, many 3D, so I want a decent size screen but proportionate to my sitting room. A too large screen even 42" would literally take over the room and I don't need that nor do I want it.

As for the street lights, my council know many wealthy people live in the borough and they're not about to upset them. They're no fools. It's not quite the same in the poorer London boroughs where they also have street lights but not always as well maintained as ours. Unfortunately, it's the rich boroughs like mine, Westminster etc where money and prestige talks. Shame really but there it is.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 40 of 50