Did you mean: 

BAFTAs 2019 nominees

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

The British Academy Film Awards ceremony  2019 will be taking place this Sunday, and you'll be able to follow everything on BBC1 from 9pm. The nominees are in, and I've put together a recap below of who's in the race for a BAFTA this time around.

Will you be watching the ceremony? What are your predictions?

Let us know in the comments! smiley

• Best film

BlacKkKlansman
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star Is Born

• Oustanding British film

Beast
Bohemian Rhapsody 
The Favourite
McQueen
Stan & Ollie
You Were Never Really Here

• Best leading actress

Glenn Close (The Wife)
Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)
Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
Viola Davis (Widows)

• Best leading actor

Bradley Cooper (A Star is Born)
Christian Bale (Vice)
Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
Steve Coogan (Stan & Ollie)
Viggo Mortensen (Green Book)

• Best supporting actress

Amy Adams (Vice)
Claire Foy (First Man)
Emma Stone (The Favourite)
Margot Robbie (Mary Queen of Scots)
Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)

• Best supporting actor

Adam Driver (BlacKkKlansman)
Mahershala Ali (Green Book)
Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
Sam Rockwell (Vice)
Timothée Chalamet (Beautiful Boy)

• Best adapted screenplay

BlacKkKlansman – Spike Lee, David Rabinowitz, Charlie Wachtel, Kevin Wilmott
Can You Ever Forgive Me? – Nicole Holofcener, Jeff Whitty
First Man – Josh Singer
If Beale Street Could Talk – Barry Jenkins
A Star Is Born – Bradley Cooper, Will Fetters, Eric Roth

• Best original screenplay

Cold War – Janusz Glowacki, Pawel Pawlikowski
The Favourite – Deborah Davis, Tony McNamara
Green Book – Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly, Nick Vallelonga
Roma – Alfonso Cuarón
Vice – Adam McKay

• Rising star

Letitia Wright
Jessie Buckley
Cynthia Erivo
Lakeith Stanfield
Barry Keoghan

• Best animated film

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

• Best director

Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman)
Paweł Pawlikowski (Cold War)
Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite)
Alfonso Cuaron (Roma)
Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)

Roma (Netflix)

• Best cinematography

Bohemian Rhapsody
Cold War
The Favourite
First Man
Roma

• Outstanding debut by a British writer, director or producer

Apostasy – Daniel Kokotajlo (Writer/Director)
Beast – Michael Pearce (Writer/Director), Lauren Dark (Producer)
A Cambodian Spring – Chris Kelly (Writer/Director/Producer)
Pili – Leanne Welham (Writer/Director), Sophie Harman (Producer)
Ray & Liz – Richard Billingham (Writer/Director), Jacqui Davies (Producer)

• Film not in th English language

Capernaum
Cold War
Dogman
Roma
Shoplifters

• Best documentary

Free Solo
McQueen
RBG
They Shall Not Grow Old
Three Identical Strangers

• Best original music 

BlacKkKlansman
If Beale Street Could Talk
Isle of Dogs
Mary Poppins Returns
A Star Is Born

• Editing

Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
First Man
Roma
Vice

• Production design 

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
The Favourite
First Man
Mary Poppins Returns
Roma

• Costume design 

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Mary Poppins Returns
Mary Queen of Scots

• Make up and hair 

Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Mary Queen of Scots
Stan & Ollie
Vice

• Sound 

Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
Mission: Impossible – Fallout
A Quiet Place
A Star Is Born

• Special visual effects 

Avengers: Infinity War
Black Panther
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
First Man
Ready Player One

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@EmilieT

If honest I was surprised at the choice of Roma as the best film. It only won one other award for  cinematography. It isn't a film which appeals  to me at all...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 21

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT

Yes factories do have their awards but they don't hire the Albert Hall for obvious reasons!

Some are in the form of Bonus awards.

Some factories have sports teams even domino clubs with their awards.

The media can promote their awards and televise it because that's their business and they will get advertising from it too.

Thanks for your interest Emilie most appreciated.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 12 of 21

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff I haven't heard much of Roma until I posted this topic last week and read about it here and there. It wouldn't be my first choice to watch either but it must be doing something right to get this award! slight_smile

@TallTrees You're right the main reason we hear more about the media awards is because they self promote in a way, which is harder to do for other sectors. Thankfully with the internet we can find out pretty much anything these days. grin

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 13 of 21

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Good point @EmilieT

We can even put our "awards" on Youtube ~ still not quite the same but good anyway~ never had that option before.  I have noticed that some bands are going that way instead of trying to persuade the recording companies to play or promote their music and it has been successful.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 14 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
I don't fancy The Favourite to be honest but maybe I'll make an effort to see what all the fuss is about. Not my usual genre as I'm more into thrillers so maybe I need to broaden my education.
Message 15 of 21

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I was very surprised Roma won best film. I'd not heard of it till I watched the BAFTAs. To me there were better films.

The Favourite is a film I'd watch, maybe once while I have more of an interest in Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star Is Born, which I've just received.

Actually I'm getting round to watching some of my films. Presently watching Solo, which is very good.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 16 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@EmilieT

If honest I was surprised at the choice of Roma as the best film. It only won one other award for  cinematography. It isn't a film which appeals  to me at all...

It also picked up awards for Best Director, and "Best Film Not in the English Language".

I'd like to see it, but I'm not signed up for Netflix  Smiley Frustrated

I was pleased that "A Star Is Born" picked up an award for Best Original Music. I remember the 1976 version with Barbra Streisand, but for me, Lady Gaga absolutely nails it in this latest remake.

The Favourite is an excellent film, very enjoyable, and there really is very little to choose between the performances of the three leading actresses, and Olivia Colman was right to pay tribute to her co-stars when she picked up her award.

Another winner that's worth watching (Best Adapted Screenplay) is BlacKkKlansman. The storyline seems incredibly far-fetched, until you realise that it's actually based on a true story Smiley Surprised

Message 17 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous

I must have picked up an edited version of awards. Even so it isn't film which appeals to me and like you, I haven't got Netflix.

I was also very pleased that Lady Gaga's film picked up an award.

I wasn't aware BlacKkKlansman was based on  true story. However, that's another one which fails to appeal me.

Choosey or what? upside_down

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 21

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous

I must have picked up an edited version of awards. Even so it isn't film which appeals to me and like you, I haven't got Netflix.

I was also very pleased that Lady Gaga's film picked up an award.

I wasn't aware BlacKkKlansman was based on  true story. However, that's another one which fails to appeal me.

Choosey or what? upside_down

I recorded BBC1s BAFTA awards show, and they showed the 'other' awards after the main show.

I was happy that both A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody got at least 1 award.

The Favourite and Black Klansman are films I may watch when they're shown on TV but wouldn't buy either.

I knew the story about Black Klansman was based on true events and am a fan of Spike Lee but I've no desire to see the film, even though it paints the KKK as fools. I already knew that too joy

Got A Star is Born and can't wait to watch it. I saw both the Barbara Streisand and Judy Garland versions of this film and loved both, though my favourite has to be Judy Garland's. I'm curious to see how the latest version compares. Lady Gaga isn't a half bad actress and I love her singing voice, so I should enjoy it but whether it's up there with the Garland version, I'll hold my judgement on that till I've watched it.

As for Roma, while I have no problem with foreign language films and even own a few, this doesn't appeal to me at all. Honestly can't understand why it won the Best Film award, unless it's some political statement. The Oscars often have a political undercurrent, so why not the BAFTAs Don't know

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 19 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:
I don't fancy The Favourite to be honest but maybe I'll make an effort to see what all the fuss is about. Not my usual genre as I'm more into thrillers so maybe I need to broaden my education.

It’s not a family friendly film, as the language is colourful at times. But it’s a comedy drama with quite a few laugh out loud moments  wink

@Glory1

Now I’ve never been a fan of Spike Lee, but I do enjoy going to the cinema, and sometimes I’ll take a punt on a film if there’s not much else on that attracts my attention. That’s why I rarely pay too much attention to critics’ reviews, as I prefer to make my own mind up. BlacKkKlansman surprised me, it’s a genuinely funny film, but of course there’s a serious message about racism, and some of the footage from actual news reports is quite shocking. But it really is a clever film. 

Message 20 of 21