Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor 4g speeds

Ck2023
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Came back to o2 after couple of years on other networks. I see download speed even outdoors is very poor 2-4 mbps on daytim. I had sim from Three, Vodafone and EE and never got below 7 mbps from any of them outdoor. It ranged 7-150 mbps. Has O2 become so bad in last 3 years or is this some temporary problem?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions

@Ck2023 

Could be a local mast issue Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

But O2 is generally lacking in investment and heavily oversubscribed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It really has got that bad in a lot of areas

The Virgin merger has put increased congestion on many masts and along with poor network development means that in these areas O2 are possibly the worst network to join

Personally, in the first 14 days, I would be getting out while I could

Message 3 of 9

Ck2023
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for reply. It can't be mast issue as i have seen such low speed around Farnborough and Camberley. Only reason i switched to O2 is because ot Volt benefits from Virgin Media which doubels the broadband speed. If its really due to lack of investment in o2 i blame them as they are luring unsuspecting customers. Not sure i can get out from o2 without affecting my virgin media contract but will try.

I can't believe they can have such poor speed in this day and age. Feels like going back a decade in time.

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions

@Ck2023 

If you leave O2 you may lose your volt benefits with Virgin but for sure your price will need to renegotiated.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

But rather that than a phone contract that doesn't meet your needs for the next 12 months/2 year/3years...

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions

For sure. Just for awareness.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5833 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Ck2023 

It's very unfortunate that O2 are so poor in your area. in fairness, all of the networks have good areas and blackspots. I just wonder how things are going to evolve in the future as the 3G shutdown gathers pace.  

Message 8 of 9

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6632 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1492 Solutions

@Oxonian I don't think that will help @Ck2023 in the short term

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 9 of 9