Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I increase my network speed?

Smiler16
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My WIFI signal isn’t strong enough. I have a HUAWEI B311-221 router in my caravan and it’s fed by an A-XPOL-0001 antenna using the O2 network. My Amazon Fire Stick shows a Network Speed of 1.36Mbps (or less) and describes this as “poor”. Sometimes it can’t even register a network speed. My phone can use the WIFI successfully for WhatsApp and various other apps but I can’t stream TV.

I really don’t know much about this subject so these are probably very basic questions with which I would really appreciate some help:

-         Would using a better antenna increase the internet speed or just give a stronger signal?

-         Is the internet speed purely down to what O2 can provide in that geographical location?

Thanks for any enlightenment!

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Smiler16
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I took my laptop to the caravan and measured the speed a few times – it was never more than 1Mbps. Phone calls and texts, WhatsApp etc are fine but I’ll just have to forget about any streaming TV.  Never mind, not really a big deal. Thanks for all suggestions!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Smiler16 

It's entirely dependant on what the network os capable of delivering in your location and how many people are trying to use it at the same time.

Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6608 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Can you measure network speed on something other than the Firestick. My WiFi is 250Mbps and the Fitestick sometimes buffers. All other devices work fine.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 8

japitts
Level 4: Observant
  • 82 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Also work out whether it's the incoming mobile data connection that's the cause of the issue, or the WiFi connection from your router to mobile devices.

The former would affect all devices connected to the router, whether wirelessly or Ethernet.

Message 4 of 8

Smiler16
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not back at the caravan for a week or so but will check the speed with my laptop then.

Message 5 of 8

Smiler16
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I took my laptop to the caravan and measured the speed a few times – it was never more than 1Mbps. Phone calls and texts, WhatsApp etc are fine but I’ll just have to forget about any streaming TV.  Never mind, not really a big deal. Thanks for all suggestions!

Message 6 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Yep, limited by the network capability as I said above. Not uncommon.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5684 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Smiler16 wrote:

You could procure PAYG SIMs for other networks and test them at your caravan ; you are currently limited by O2's network capability, but another mobile network operator's SIM might perform differently. 👍 

Message 8 of 8