Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to Australia

Baldyfella
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I upgraded my handset yesterday at an O2 shop. I am nervous about going to Brisbane in 2 weeks time. I am worried that I will spend lots on data while away. What can I do to help prevent this?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148975 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28448 Solutions

@Baldyfella 

Depending on tariff it could be free,

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

If not, use WhatsApp over wifi where possible.

Turn off data completely and turn off voicemail before leaving UK

Guide: All you need to know about O2 Voicemail 901 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 148975 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28448 Solutions

@Baldyfella 

Depending on tariff it could be free,

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

If not, use WhatsApp over wifi where possible.

Turn off data completely and turn off voicemail before leaving UK

Guide: All you need to know about O2 Voicemail 901 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 4

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 9062 Posts
  • 205 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

Another option @Baldyfella is to buy an Australian SIM. You can procure one from somewhere like Amazon UK before you depart, or get one once you arrive in Brisbane. 

I am not sure how the costs compare for buying prior to departure or on arrival, but I have seen it said on this forum that buying at the airport when you land is inevitably an expensive way of doing it. 👍

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 148975 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28448 Solutions

For which none of your contacts would have the number and would be equally as expensive to call or receive calls outside of Aus.

Anyway, could be a moot point if the OP has Travel inclusive.

Message 4 of 4