cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 reception.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is o2 reception worse than competitors? I recently switched from orange and have found the phone to be virtually useless in norfolk and cambridgeshire other than in a city and a recent trip to the highlands and inner hebrides orange gave me virtually full coverage if sometimes just text and voice even 3 miles out to sea, whereas o2 was unusable. Also relyin in wifi is ok but not when you cant get texts from your kids because tugo isnt on windows phones. Im in a two year contract now with a service that is pretty poor so far.
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Chris can you try the o2 sim in another handset?

This looks more and more like faulty hardware as the range of places you are not getting a signal

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 21 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad we've all helped in one way or another for you.

Take care.

Message 22 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Adam, yes this was my initial thought and I concede the 800 had better pick up at home when the o2 sim was put in it but I did interchange them on a rural drive and it wasnt significantly improved so I moved away from the hardware issue. Nokia..as they probably would say..had had no reported issues of the phone being deficient for reception.

You may be right though, and I should perhaps send it back for repair to ensure its not the phone.

Message 23 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its worth a shot if still under warranty !

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/

Message 24 of 33

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I just remembered your original post on the issue http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices-Nokia-Blackberry/Nokia-925-reception-issues-ie-none/td-p/...

I would discuss this directly with nokia

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 25 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

I suspect its a less efficient network and less efficient phone...my fault for not researching thoroughly I guess. I'll pop into the o2 shop anyway and then send off the offending unit. 

Thanks for all the input, I'll let the forum know how it goes... 

Message 26 of 33

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

on 2g 900mhz o2 has the strongest network.

Also as a result of the 4g auction by 2015 end of year o2 will give 98% indoor reception by population (the only network required to do so) 2g 3g and 4g

I realy think the 925 is to blame eithe faulty or by design.

I would advise you not to return it via o2 but give nokia uk support a call (you may just be foobed off with o2's repair company)

Apple Watch series 4

Message 27 of 33

Asdic_Ping
  • 87 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I believe Vodafone also use 900 MHz on 2G.

The fact that the coverage obligation sold with part of the 800 MHz spectrum by Ofcom is measured by population doesn't really solve the problem of no signal in remote areas. If the obligation was to have 98% coverage measured geographically then the issue of no signal in remote areas would almost be solved. It is also worth noting that the 98% obligation applies to the UK, when broken down by country (i.e. England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) the requirement drops to 95%. Hats off to O2 though for making a commitment to achieve this two years earlier than is required.

I agree that in this case the handset might be at fault.

BlackBerry 9300, 9810 & Playbook
Message 28 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have spent the afternoon sim swapping around phones. Voda, o2 and orange using Iphone, Galaxy Ace and Lumia 800 and the 925. 

There is no discernable difference between the phones on any network apart from o2. I have driven around, stopped in no o2 areas and checked the others, etc etc. o2 poor on all phones.

I concede it may also be a hardware issue, the 925 dropped bars when being held and was poor as a phone for talking in low reception areas with any of the networks. 

But o2 reception was poor in comparison against the others.

I may just be unlucky living where I do and in going to the west of Scotland last week but I live in a small town not the back of beyond. 

As mentioned 98% of the population isnt 98% geographically.

I shall wallow in my disappointment with o2 and move myself back to Orange when my sons contract runs out next month. He can use this 925 for games on wifi and I'll stick an Orange payg in. 

Thanks for the comments and help all. 

Message 29 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I've given up. I spoke at length to o2 yesterday, a very helpful lady who confirmed the places I mentioned in earlier posts were not brilliant areas for o2. Frankly thats not good enough for what I want a phone for. Im 10 miles from Norwich not Neptune. And to not have tugo on windows phones is pretty shoddy. Perhaps my mother in Birmingham will take the sim off me though im not sure she'll know what a smartphone is. Still, o2 will get their £27pm for two years, 4g is all well and good but decent 2g coverage away from cities is probably what people really want.Thanks for the suggestions and farewell.
Message 30 of 33