cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

contract end date

Anonymous
Not applicable

when the contract runs out at the end of your plan ive just found out that o2 will carry on billing you regardless, unless you give 30 days notice,o2 cannot charge you for out of date contracts as there is no legal binding after the end date,check out BBC watchdog for more info on this and other related infomation .

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
This question has been asked before on here.

Can you imagine the scenario that your 24 months comes to an end and o2 (or any mobile operator) just cuts the line off unless you the customer tells them otherwise. You may be waiting for important calls or business calls. You may need to contact someone urgently but you can't because your phone has cut off.

O2 would then get thousands of complaints cos the customer has always paid their bill on time, always been a great customer but suddenly the evil mobile company has cut them off for no reason.

All mobile operators, at the end of the fixed term contract, move you on to a 30 rolling period and this is clearly detailed on the terms and conditions when you signed up. I would ask "did you read them" but I recognise most people actually don't.

Moving to 30 rolling contacts has been around for years and is not new.
Message 11 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Ts & Cs on screen in front of me - no mention of rolling contracts.

I think the problem is that I assumed the 'contract' was the agreement that I'd pay for so many months and thus the contract would lapse after this time. The Ts&Cs seem to imply that the agreement/contract continues until terminated by me (or by O2 in certain circs). This was not made clear at the sign-up stage!

Message 12 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147276 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28305 Solutions
Read the terms again. It is clearly stated and always has been. It would be chaos to do anything different.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 13 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
The T&C can be a mind field especially when some are so caught up with getting their hands on a new shiny phone.
Message 14 of 18

MI5
  • 147276 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28305 Solutions

I've highlighted the relevant part for you:

3. How long this Agreement lasts

• 3.1 This Agreement starts when we accept your application (the day you receive your SIM Card) or, if you don't receive your SIM Card when you sign up (for instance if you buy online), on the day your SIM Card is dispatched.
  • 3.2 At the end of any Minimum Period this Agreement will continue until it's ended by you or us in line with paragraph 8.2 below. This Agreement may end before the end of any Minimum Period if you or we end it in line with paragraphs 5 or 8 or under any Related Agreement.

Taken from here http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-mobile-agreement

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 15 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes as I said above I've read the Ts&Cs thanks. What confused me was the advice on the support page here:http://www.o2.co.uk/help/bills-and-payment/cancelling-your-o2-contract#qs

- which seems to imply the 30 days notice only applies 'in contract' as they put it. In fact according to the Ts&Cs the contract runs for ever untill specifically terminated whereas that page uses the terms 12, 18 and 24 month contract in the sense I initially understood it i.e. a fixed term contract. In that sense I was  assuming that once it (the 12, 18 or 24 months) had expired I should be free to do what I want. Apparently not. That page should be revised I think.

Talk about moving to a rolling one month contract is just confusing things.

Thanks to all for advice!

Message 16 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Good to hear your more informed now on how mobile phone contracts operate.

slight_smile
Message 17 of 18

MI5
  • 147276 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28305 Solutions
No where is "fixed term" mentioned - The keywords are "minimum term" wink
Message 18 of 18