Did you mean: 

Wearable tech discussion!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

I've been thinking about wearable technology and how it's becoming more and more widespread over the last few years. I'm starting to see more people using wearables as a standard part of their tech library. It seems the most popular devices currently are fitness trackers in various forums including mobile apps that take advantage of the accelerometers in the handsets and smart watches, which are linked to mobiles. There have also been some rumors of the return of Google Glass which failed to gain popularity last time around. 

I'd be interested to hear about anyone's experience with wearable tech!

• Which devices have you used, or do you currently use?
  • Do you find them useful or more of a gimmick? 
  • Any recommendations on devices or health apps? 

There are also some very interesting developments on the horizon with things like smart contact lenses which provide augmented reality and can even be implanted, smart tattoos to monitor health, deploy drugs or control your phone and biometric sensors and payment systems integrated into jewellery and clothing. Whilst some of these sound like their straight out of an episode or Black Mirror they definitely have enormous potential to change the way we interact with our devices! 

• What do you think about some of the potential advancements in wearables? 
  • Is there anything that you would absolutely refuse to use due to privacy or other concerns? 
  • Anything you're really looking forward to giving a go? 

Wearable tech .jpg

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this subject wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

I know it is the future but... I just don't like the idea. But I have to say this wearable technology actually saved my brother's life when he got lost during a storm heart 

Thanks @Martin-O2, I have learnt a lot!!! ( smart tattoos?? Jaw-dropping Jaw-dropping)

p0205gy2.jpg

[http://www.bbc.com/ Picture]

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 11 of 22

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Much appreciated @MI5 slight_smile Nice and cheap too so a great way to see if smart watches are for me or not without breaking the bank. 

@MercedesS Yes smart tattoos! There a few years out from being commercially available yet but have all sorts of applications. You can even control other devices by pinching or stretching them! 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 12 of 22

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

I've had the Huawei Smartwatch in my basked on Amazon so many times, but never quite convinced myself to go ahead with it. Definitely want one, but with it being (at the time) one of the more expensive options it was always difficult to justify.

I'm always leaning more towards a watch that looks more conventional/traditional rather than futuristic/Apple style. Android Wear 2.0 with the possibility of Android Pay if the watch supports NFC appeals as well, although at the moment adds to the price tag.

I'm intrigued @MI5, could you let me know which budget model you linked Martin to? A PM is fine if you don't want to leave the link public. slight_smile Cheers!

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 13 of 22

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Martin-O2 wrote: 

@MercedesS Yes smart tattoos! There a few years out from being commercially available yet but have all sorts of applications. You can even control other devices by pinching or stretching them! 

Can I play games too? If I can control my PS5... you got me there!  AstoundedBouncy 

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 14 of 22

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Wa10 I'm definitely considering getting one now. This topic has been a real eye opener as to the features available! 

I'll also drop you a PM with the link. Took it down as it's direct to a product page wink

Edit to respond to @MercedesS wink

I don't think they are there yet but technology moves so fast now I don't think you'll have to wait long. 

signature

Message 15 of 22

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Cheers @Martin-O2, I'm off for a browse! I think NFC and Android Pay support is what would swing it for me...although I'm not sure it would be great for my credit card bill each month LOL

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 16 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I've got Apple pay on the watch which is really convenient too.
The watch I linked to is cheap and nasty, but it works and will give you an insight to see if you like it or not.
For £8 you've nothing to lose slight_smile
PS. I have got one myself so I'm not sending you on to a complete duffer but it won't be the best available either wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 22

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

I tried the Microsoft band (TTT review here), but found it a little bulky and uncomfortable. Plus the battery life was not great needing to be charged pretty much every day.

I currently wear the Mi Band 2, which has a tiny display but shows the name and/or number if you get a call or a text. It is more of an activity tracker but has a screen so you can see time/date, steps, heart rate and battery on the "watch" itself.

It doesn't have the ability to make or receive calls or respond to texts, but it more than covers the things I wanted. Plus the battery lasts much longer - currently on 13 days since charge and have 23% left!

It is also (relatively) cheap at £25 from a number of on-line retailers (the jungle named one mostly).

I did have the Mi Band 1S which is pretty much the same thing but without the display - it had 3 LEDs that lit up if a call/text came in or to show your steps progress against a target. That one had a battery life of about a month!

I would like to get a full smart watch - again the Huawei one looks great - but cost and battery life for me are key. I don't have £200-300 floating about to buy one.

Apparently the company I work for have rolled out smart glasses at a warehouse to assist workers. They display information about the job being complete (where to go, what to pick, where it has to be placed) and as it is visual it lends itself to places where many languages are the norm.

In regards to apps, I use the one from Xiaomi that runs the Mi band. It is pretty good in terms of showing you information about your (in)activity levels, plus sleep tracking. I also use Strava for when I go cycling so I can see how far and fast I am going.

I don't think it will be too long before people can have an NFC chip embedded that can replace swipe/access cards and allow banking transactions. Security will then be the most obvious concern, as having all your details in one place presents a large risk.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 18 of 22

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@gmarkj The Mi Band 2 sounds like a good bit of kit, especially for only £25! I'm really surprised that the battery life on these devices is so good. They will only get better as the tech improves. 

I certainly think that smart glasses will have more uses as a work tool, at least at first. I remember people were a little freaked out with the idea of someone videoing them through the glasses without any indication they were on. Once the tech is on smart contact lenses that will be a game changer! 

There's definitely a risk of having all of your ID and banking on a single chip. I'm sure that a secure system can be set up. Perhaps combined with biometrics. 

signature

Message 19 of 22

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I was shocked as well @Martin-O2. I had thought that I would get a week tops but it is still going...
Some of the police programmes my wife watches have the body cams on and during raids they often use the glasses to record what is going on. In my opinion that is the perfect use for them!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 20 of 22