Did you mean: 

Movies in March 2020

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Before we get started with this months movie discussion did anyone catch one of the films we talked about in last months thread?

Due to the current advice to avoid large crowds I'm sure most of you will be staying away from the cinema this month so I thought we'd do something a little different this time and just recommend movies available on streaming services which can be watched at home. cool

I'm going to focus on Netflix as I think that most people have that but if you have a recommendation from any other streaming service let us know in the comments. wink

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 11.52.34.png

A Quiet Place is a film I watched just this week and follows a family trying to survive in a world devastated by monsters that violently attack anything that makes a sound. 

Next up is a brilliant sc fi film, Ex_Machina. A tech billionaire has potentially developed artificial intelligence and invites one of his programmers to a secluded research station to test the AI's abilities. 

Cargo is a slow burn zombie story about a desperate farther who's been infected trying to find a safe place for his young daughter before he falls victim to the zombie virus.  

Not seen this one yet but I'm planning on watching The Theory of Everything this week. The film charts the life of the famous disabled astrophysicist, Stephen Hawking. 

The Revenant is a survival drama about betrayal and revenge set in 1800's America. A classic and well worth a watch. 

If you like your sci fi on the strange side then Annihilation is the movie for you! A bubble of changing reality is slowly expanding across the US and a team of scientists are sen't in to investigate. 

When a failed writer discovers a drug which allows him to learn and process information at super human speeds he discovers what his mind is really capable of! Limitless is a fun movie which keeps you guessing until the end! 

Wonder Woman is one of the best DC movies to date and works well as an origin story for the titular character. 

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is a remake of the classic Robin Williams film of the same name. Updated for the modern age, this time the characters are stuck in a life like video game and have to battle a mysterious weirdo to save Jumanji and return home. 

That's just a tiny selection of recommendations of films to stream while we're all stuck at home. Let me know what films you'll be watching to keep yourselves entertained! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

I've been watching Netflix much more than usual this past month but haven't seen much to recommend in all honesty. Zombies, horrors and Apocalypse programmes/series etc., I stay well clear of.

Message 2 of 13

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions
I have been catching up on some Amazon Prime stuff and a few mini drama's that are on the TiVo.
No films recently and nothing at the cinema!
I have watched Ex Machina and thought it was really well done and very interesting. Didn't realise that Oscar Isaac was in it!
Annihilation was a great take but also very strange visually. Thought it raised some very interesting points. I can see why it did not do as well as they thought given the strangeness of the topic.
I have seen Limitless (bit like Lucy), Wonder Woman and Jumanji.
Not bothered by The Revenant.
Cargo is on my watchlist, as is Theory of Everything.
As to last month, I still want to see Sonic, Invisible Man, Birds of Prey (not sure that has actually been released yet?) and Dark Waters does look very interesting!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 13

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35762 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

Must be different from the movie "Cargo" that I watched and enjoyed some years back - recommended! 

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0381940/

Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122795 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I have seen the Revenant and enjoyed it. Also watched Jumanji and the Theory of Everything.

Also on Netflix, I enjoyed The Stranger and Safe. Both by Harlen Coben.

The Outsider by Stephen King was excellent.

Of course my binge watch was Drive To Survive series 2.

Certainly made up for F1 being cancelled!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Really enjoyed Safe too.

Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Really enjoyed Safe too.

Me too,  good plot with a good ending. The Stranger by one of my favourite authors was also compulsive viewing.

Message 7 of 13

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Ex machina: no, pretty awful for me. Basically boss spies on moronic employee who browses NSFW material at work then sets him up with a real-doll on a deserted island. When revealed, it just made the film so much more tedious dull. 

Annihilation: the last 30 minutes of sythesizer music is probably the best bit about it. Really didn't care about the characters and the plot, well it might have been better written to include sci-fi than women who can't act.

Cargo - Interesting take on the Zombie genre though a touch overlong. If you like more action and a survival type zombie show that keeps you hooked throughout each episode, take a look at Black Summer (8 episodes).

Wonder Woman - I found dull though Gal Gadot is gorgegous and I'm liking the look of the trailers for WW:1984. Also: it has an awesome remix of Blue Monday so it better be good when it finally gets released. Bonus: Blue Monday.

Trying to see A Quiet Place but its a long runtime in a busy time for me at the moment as in I shouldn't multiscreen! Saw Missing Link the other day which is family style enjoyable and Rango (animation) which is a fantastic old-school nod to westerns. 

But Netflix has recently got a lot of Studio Ghibli films that I've always been curious about. As its Japanese anime, I'm expect bizarre characters, (mostly) intriguing plots without transforming robots all animated in its unique style.

Message 8 of 13

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35762 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

But Netflix has recently got a lot of Studio Ghibli films that I've always been curious about. As its Japanese anime, I'm expect bizarre characters, (mostly) intriguing plots without transforming robots all animated in its unique style.

Not a full listing yet on Netflix for the Ghibli films, and many with star-studded cast for the English soundtracks - Neeson, Crystal, Blanchet, Patrick Stewart, Mark Hamill, David Ogden-Stiers... Still some of the better ones to be made available on Netflix tho. 

https://ghibli.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_English_voice_actors

Message 9 of 13

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@jonsie yes zombie films are not everyone's cup of tea. I'm a big fan of the genre though. 

What did you think of Invisible Man @gmarkj? It looks great from the trailer. 

Yes different Cargo @pgn but I've seen that version too. Very good movie! 

I've not seen The Outsider @Cleoriff, is it on Netflix? Same for Safe @Anonymous. Can I find it on one of the streaming services? 

I'm looking forward to Wonder Woman 1984 @pgn. From the trailers it looks like they've done a great job of recreating the atmosphere of the decade.

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 13