Did you mean: 

Wearable tech discussion!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

I've been thinking about wearable technology and how it's becoming more and more widespread over the last few years. I'm starting to see more people using wearables as a standard part of their tech library. It seems the most popular devices currently are fitness trackers in various forums including mobile apps that take advantage of the accelerometers in the handsets and smart watches, which are linked to mobiles. There have also been some rumors of the return of Google Glass which failed to gain popularity last time around. 

I'd be interested to hear about anyone's experience with wearable tech!

• Which devices have you used, or do you currently use?
  • Do you find them useful or more of a gimmick? 
  • Any recommendations on devices or health apps? 

There are also some very interesting developments on the horizon with things like smart contact lenses which provide augmented reality and can even be implanted, smart tattoos to monitor health, deploy drugs or control your phone and biometric sensors and payment systems integrated into jewellery and clothing. Whilst some of these sound like their straight out of an episode or Black Mirror they definitely have enormous potential to change the way we interact with our devices! 

• What do you think about some of the potential advancements in wearables? 
  • Is there anything that you would absolutely refuse to use due to privacy or other concerns? 
  • Anything you're really looking forward to giving a go? 

Wearable tech .jpg

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this subject wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
At first I thought they would be gimmicks, but I wouldn't be without my smartwatch now.
The only downside is that I have to have one for each phone as they can only pair to one device at a time 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 22

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@MI5 I must admit I've never given the watches a go. What model do you have and what sort of things can you do with it? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 3 of 22

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I've got a Gear S2 for my Samsung phone, a Sony SW2 for my Sony phone and an Apple watch for the iPhone. A Misfit and a Pebble which will link with most devices.
Also a couple of cheap Chinese ones knocking around too, which are pretty good for the money.
They all do the same basic stuff with regard to notifying you of calls, texts etc.
Some of them allow you to make and receive calls and reply to messages.
They also monitor activity, sleep, remind you to get up if you've been sitting for too long etc.
They can also be linked to or used with apps like runkeeper, strava etc to record any of that activity.
Mostly now I'm reliant on the convenience factor of not having to find your phone when it beeps to see who's text you or look to see who's calling before digging your phone out your pocket or bag etc.
It's pure laziness to a certain degree but surprising how quickly you get hooked on using them (just like a TV remote :))
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 22

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I love my smart watch. Get all the notifications from my phone and no need to rake the phone out of my pocket. I particularly like that I can view messages on my phone from my wife (or anyone) and they don't show as read unless I mark them read on the watch.... meaning I can ignore instructions from her Smiley Very Happy

Two days on a wireless charge too. Yes I too thought they would be shortlived but you can't halt progress in technology. There are literally dozens of cheap Chinese watches that all vary in what features they have so they are very affordable. Quality varies but you can still show off at the bus stop or supermarket checkouts LOL

Message 5 of 22

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@MI5 Woah! You've really embraced the smart watch then! I didn't realise that they had that much functionality. I'd assumed that it was just basic message and call notifications. 

@jonsie Haha being able to read messages without alerting the sender would be very handy Smiley Very Happy Surprised the charge lasts that long too! 

A couple of questions for you both... 

Any recommendations on a reasonably cheap smart watch for my first one?

Would you use a set of smart contact lenses if they provided the same level of functionality, say with a HUD as your current smart watch? 

signature

Message 6 of 22

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Martin, are you android or iPhone first?
and I'd never wear contacts - I can't imagine sticking anything to my eyeballs at all !!

Currently using:
Message 7 of 22

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 8 of 22

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Android. Currently rocking the S6 Edge slight_smile

Yeah I'd have to agree. Only need my classes for reading and screens. More to prevent headaches then to see better so I've never needed em full time. I do cringe at the thought of putting anything in my eyes. I cant even apply my own eye drops without blinking as I know it's coming Smiley Very Happy

Think I'd go for it if it was a discreet overlay on my glasses. Nothing as obvious as the Google Glass though. 

signature

Message 9 of 22

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Ok, so just to get a feel for what a smartwatch can do on the cheap, have a look at something like this (delete link after viewing ;)) res etc.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 22