Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WWDC 2015

Anonymous
Not applicable
80 REPLIES 80

Anonymous
Not applicable
Didn't notice if there was anything like that for messaging there was a fair chunk on the new Mac OS which looks to be a free update so I should get that and it looks useful. Maps is getting an update and apple pay will work in marks and Spencer's. That mail link I posted had got a pretty reasonable write up if it from what I read
Message 71 of 81

Cleoriff
  • 126005 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

@Anonymous. Have you had chance to see any of this WWDC today? I wonder if there is anything of interest to you?...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 72 of 81

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I do @Toby it's better than the 5 as it has a bigger screen so I can read it larger without having to zoom, the large screen is a nice bonus & looks great, it runs very smoothly & the battery lasts me usually a day with what I use my phone for.

@Cleoriff I've yet to catch up with everything that was said but so far nothing I've read stands out apart from the split screen feature but as I read more later I may find other things
Message 73 of 81

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94013 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've installed iOS9 on my 6 Plus and I can tell you now, it's more like 4 hours less battery life. It's a real power hog! My phone has lost 10% (actually make that 11%) in the past 2 hours and I haven't used it at all. It's also doing random things like asking me to sign into the App store (ie. email address and password) every single time I want to download an app.

I can't add a GMail account either - It lets me enter my details and then bumps me back to the accounts screen.

It's now downloading a few apps which I already downloaded this morning, although it doesn't actually seem to be doing anything..

I'm glad this is the first beta because I'd be marching the phone back to Apple otherwise!

My advice, if you're thinking about installing iOS9 Beta 1 - DON'T!!

Wait until Beta 2!

Incidentally, if anyone wants to register their UDID so they can install iOS9, let me know and I can add you to my Dev account.

Message 75 of 81

Anonymous
Not applicable
I usually wait few hours after the actual roll out as I've not got access to beta which I think is probably best as I would be tearing my hair out with the stress. The idea of having it is really great until the issues which in not tech enough to deal with very decent of you to offer @Anonymous
Message 76 of 81

Anonymous
Not applicable
It'll be interesting about battery as some say 4 extra hours bit I've also read only 3 extra
Message 77 of 81

Anonymous
Not applicable

Things I liked about the Keynote were the new Mac OS, with the split/side by side app view and the other many new features/improvements in it.

Regarding iOS 9, I like the split screen view of the apps on the iPad, bit of a disappointment that it will be only available on the iPad Air 2 or later, but from what I’ve read elsewhere, this feature is more ram and processor intensive, and this is why its only available on the iPad Air 2 or later. Also I liked the Slide Over feature (which will work on other versions of the iPad).

The QuickType control feature looks really handy too, which lets you easily place the cursor on your iPad by simply moving two fingers anywhere on the screen.

I like the News app. I like how you can choose the subjects your interested in and it then gathers articles from various sources and places them all into the one app. Also as a regular user of the Notes app, I like the new features that were talked about with the Notes app in iOS 9.

I liked the promised better battery performance of iOS 9 and also the battery saving switch. Really handy that you can just flick the one switch (or have it suggest to switch it on when the battery level reaches 20, 10 percent) rather manually adjusting brightness, switch off Mail Push and fetch and other settings to try and get some extra battery life. I expect that the improvement in battery performance won’t be truly smoothed out until later betas, its common for beta versions of new versions of iOS to be more demanding on battery in the beginning, until bugs etc get ironed out.

Was glad to hear that Apple Pay will be coming to the UK, so looking forward to trying that out in M&S, but I expect it might be a while before I see it in my neck of the woods Smiley Frustrated

Although I’m not really interested in streaming music, I was impressed with the new Apple Music service, which is priced at $9.99 per month (which is roughly £6.50 per month). Be interesting to hear how it compares with other music streaming services such as Spotify and also if users of Spotify move over to Apple Music instead. I was surprised to hear that not only are there going to be versions of Apple Music for iPhone, Mac, but also Windows and also Android later in the year.

Other than that iOS 9 seems to have been more of an under the hood improvement to iOS 8, rather than a completely new iOS. I’m expecting next year with iOS 10, that this will be a completely new iOS, like when we went from iOS 6 to iOS 7.

I was expecting that with iOS 9, that support for the iPhone 4S would be dropped, but I was surprised to see that the 4S will take iOS 9. In this day and age, its nice to see that devices that are 4 years old are still supported for software updates.

I will be making some new video guides covering iOS 9 once its released later in the year slight_smile

Message 78 of 81

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

I've moved this thread to the 'Discussion and Feedback' section.

Great idea for a discussion @Anonymous and well done @Anonymous for this little round-up!

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 79 of 81

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I liked the promised better battery performance of iOS 9 and also the battery saving switch. Really handy that you can just flick the one switch (or have it suggest to switch it on when the battery level reaches 20, 10 percent) rather manually adjusting brightness, switch off Mail Push and fetch and other settings to try and get some extra battery life. I expect that the improvement in battery performance won’t be truly smoothed out until later betas, its common for beta versions of new versions of iOS to be more demanding on battery in the beginning, until bugs etc get ironed out.

The first iOS 9 for iPhone beta is certainly demanding on the battery! I've installed it on my iPad (4th Gen) too, but haven't used it since so it remains to be seen how much effect it has on it's power consumption.

I've rolled my 6 Plus back to iOS 8.4 beta 4 now because a lot of my apps don't work in iOS 9 yet. I'll have another look when beta 2 is released - hopefully Apple will have ironed out some of the more major issues such as the battery usage.  

Message 80 of 81