cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DFDS GSM Ferry charges

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pretty annoyed to get a text half way across the channel from Dunkirk to Dover informing me I was attached to the ships GSM and would be charged £6 per MB for any data myt phone downloaded.

I had been on roaming for 4 days at O2's reasonable rate, didnt to think to turn my phone off nor that I would get price gouged by my Ferry for the last 20 miles to Dover. Its like having someone stealing money from your back pocket.

If you raise it with DFDS they blame the charges on O2 convieniently side stepping the fact that they signed the contracts with the telcom supplier, installed the technology and make fees off this. If you look at DFDS website they only mention voice/SMS not data and the people on the ship and contact centre were clueless. 

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

We are constantly warning not to leave the phone on when aboard a ship as we've seen this all too often. 

More here: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Ferry-roaming-charges-also-relevant-for-cruise-s...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124233 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

I understand your annoyance but it is well documented that ship and ferry rates are extortionate sadly...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had the same issue returning from Rosslare to Pembroke - I'd paid the Int Bolt on for data then a further £27 as I'd caught Norwegian roaming for 10  minutes even though I was in the Irish sea - very confusing and deliberate IMO

Message 3 of 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

We are constantly warning not to leave the phone on when aboard a ship as we've seen this all too often. 

More here: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Ferry-roaming-charges-also-relevant-for-cruise-s...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 11

jonsie
  • 93272 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Many threads on this. Have you tried calling o2, speaking to different advisers give different outcomes 

Message 5 of 11

jonsie
  • 93272 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Yes there are many threads on this but there are far too many people caught out with this. Shame the ferries aren't regulated. ..

Message 6 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 124233 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

I agree @jonsie in this day and age with the increase in people using smartphones and tablets, it seems 'shipping rates' are a massive con.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 11

jonsie
  • 93272 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Compare this to Emirates who give you 500mb data for just £1.00....easily enough for two 7 hour flights to get here....

Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for reply, I dont have a problem with O2, its the ferry companies. 

Good customer relationship management should persuade them to provide better notification of this in the booking receipts, on website or on-board. They could even make an announcement before they switch the service on. 

What really annoys me is that DFDS have given there contact staff a well prepared statement that it is the mobile carriers responsibility to inform me of these charges and they have no responsibility over it - completely sidestepping that they signed the commercial contracts, put the technology on their ships. 

As ever today the answer is technology, phones need better network selection functionality. Until you give control to the consumers sharp suited people will continue to scam you. 

Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 146961 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
Totally agree with you !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 10 of 11