cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone repair service - stealing our property?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

A family member of mine with the Samsung Galaxy W on contract with O2 has been having some problems with their phone randomly turning off soon after turning it on, after sending it back to O2 for repair under warranty (phone is under warranty but battery is not) she was told that the problem was due to the battery being over charged causing it to bulge and damage the phone (sounds fishy, i inspected the battery myself and it looked fine) and that because of this she would need to pay to get it repaired.

To top it off she was told that they would not send the original battery back once the phone was repaired due to some kind of legislation or rule preventing them from sending it.

Is this legal? They are firstly disposing of her property without her prior consent as well as destroying all evidence of the original problem.

Working in computer repair myself we would not think to destroy or prevent our customer from keeping or seeing their faulty items without asking them first.

What are they doing? I have a feeling it is just the battery that is faulty but they are trying to make more money!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Hopefully it is just the battery but I believe legislation does prohibit the sending of batteries via the post.

It would though be cheaper to get a battery from Amazon, they don't seem to have a problem via the postal system!

Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 144558 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
I have heard of battery's bulging from over charging but only if the charger was faulty or a non Samsung charger was been used. I don't think it's right they should just dispose of the battery though without giving you the chance to inspect it. I'm sure if it is the battery a new one would fix the problem I can't see it doing any damage to the phone....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Our suppliers don't seem to have trouble sending laptop batteries to us, O2 somehow didn't have a problem sending it to their repair centre in the first place... :S
Message 4 of 13

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Our suppliers don't seem to have trouble sending laptop batteries to us, O2 somehow didn't have a problem sending it to their repair centre in the first place... :S

We are talking Royal Mail. O2 didn't send a battery, they sent a phone containing a battery. No one seems to bother about the legalities unless it's in their own interests.

Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
And they should then be sending a phone containing a battery back even if she doesnt want it repaired?
Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Incredibly! Do they outsource their repairs or is it in-house?
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
They send the repairs to anovo/regenersis which is based in Norwich. If you search anovo through this forum, you will see some similar stories about this company
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yet another post about these con artists when are O2 going to do something about this it is their responsibility at the end of the day
Message 10 of 13