Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 definitely selling customer info to 3Rd parties

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
So, upgraded my sons phone, in my name but every single instance of it online is my sons name, my name connected to that number exists ONLY with O2.
Since upgrading 5 days ago, he's had 3 calls from people asking for me about an accident I had recently.
The physically ONLY way this could have happened is if one if o2's trusted partners is harvesting info and selling it to these scam artists.
Not happy as I explicitly told O2 NOT to pass on info to 3rd parties when upgrading.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
And amazingly, my contact preferences for 3Rd parties is "Off"
So wtf??
Impossible that these scammers could associate my name to that number without seeing O2 info.
Message 2 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144510 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
More proof of what we already know and is denied by o2..
I even have the email refusing to uphold my complaint because o2 do not do this!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 16

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Despite all their denials, we do know that our information is anything but protected. Let's be honest, an active customer base list is worth big money. Of course O2 or maybe a singular staff member sells it on to whoever, they also then sell it on. O2 can't deny this happens. 

Message 4 of 16

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@viridis .....if it was me and still within the cancellation period, I chuck it back at them.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 5 of 16

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10203 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3013 Solutions

The PPI and Accident claim blame gang, all use automated calling scripts, so they will start with 07595 8xxxxxx and end with 07595 8xxxxx9 They dont know which numbers are live and which arent, its just one big excel spreadsheet... 

You can do the same for text messages.. wouldnt take me long and cost that much to run through fastsms or something and spam the whole of O2 number range 

If people are asking for you by name, have you used that number anywhere else or signed up for anything and used that number? 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 16

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
They asked by name,
And I've never used that number ever.
Message 7 of 16

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

O2 admit to passing on details to trusted partners who probably have no scruples in selling on to spammers. Our privacy is not safe with O2 and marking our preferences in My O2 seems to me to be ignored and abused in the never-ending money pursuit. 

Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 144510 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions

We know the corporate bs as we've all had it before mate.
Raise a complaint and I'll post the response I got. I bet you it will be exactly the same!

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 16

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

I have absolutely no knowledge of DPA practises with O2 apart from the very stringent rules that advisors have to adhere to (which are strictly and actively enforced), however if you are genuinely concerned about how your data has been used and you're not satisfied with the response you've had to a complaint, raise it with the ICO.

https://ico.org.uk/concerns/handling/

Speaking as a customer, I wouldn't have a clue how people have got their hands on my contact details, as unfortunately I'm quite regularly plagued by such nuisance, unsolicited calls - however I know I'm often less than scrupulous about ticking/unticking as required, and have on more than one occasion shared my details publicly, so it would be next to impossible for me to track how they had been picked up by the shysters who like to pester us.

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 10 of 16