cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G active in Manchester

Anonymous
Not applicable

After changing into a 4G tariff last night, I went into Manchester city centre today, et voila... my phone found 4G signal and it works! So it seems 4G is afoot in Manchester. Speedtest was about 10Mbps down, 15Mbps up.
It seems to be only active in Manchester city centre, as I live in a North Manchester suburb and there is no 4G signal here.

I also managed to try it our in Bradford, where I got much higher speeds, about 25Mbps down AND up.

Promising stuff!

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was watching the new one Apple showcased in their Keynote at the same time of their iPhone 5s and 5c launch.

Infinity Blade III

To be released 20/9/13.

Hmmm I can't find any 'Infinity Blade' on the Play Store for my S4 mini... anything else I can play on it?

Message 11 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the one I've been watching.

Hopefully someone who uses the Play Store can make a recommendation for you.

Message 12 of 32

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93341 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It was a bit of a stretch with the Leeds/Manchester thing - I was just thinking out loud !

I wouldn't like to walk!Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your too used to Samlo's

wink
Message 14 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just been to town again, different location and no 4G this time.

This morning, I was actually in the vicinity of an O2 shop. I'm wondering if they have enabled 4G in or near O2 shops for staff and/or demonstration purposes only... or if it is just no good in tight urban environments (due to O2's only using the 2.6GHz frequency).

Message 15 of 32

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23562 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3750 Solutions

If it was no good in tight urban environments how could they enable it in London? O2's 4G network is running on 800 MHz, not 2600. You may have had a signal in Manchester because they were testing it and you just happened by chance to be there at that time. You'll probably never know for sure. When they enable it officially in Manchester I'm sure it will be announced.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 16 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry yes, I meant to say 800MHz. Reading certain articles that say having 800MHz is good for open rural areas but 2.6GHz is better for densely populated city environments. 

Might have just been what you say. Time will tell!

Message 17 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to report that, after a few days and a few trips to and from work, and around Manchester, there is only one 4G cell and it seems to be located near Manchester Fort shopping centre. I am not sure if the choice of location has to do with the fact there is an O2 shop there or not. But it seems to be the only place where 4G signal is switched on at the moment. 

The range is about 1 to 1.5 miles or maybe a bit more, judging by the fact that at my workplace we seem to be at the very edge of it.

Message 18 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had 4g everyday in Stockport nr pets at home. It's amazingly quick and snappy slight_smile
Message 19 of 32

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93341 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions
Message 20 of 32