cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal router for O2 Business Broadband (Fibre)

derekoh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have O2 Business Broadband (Fibre) and use the stock O2 broadband modem/router.

Every time the router is restarted/rebooted, it "forgets" the local DNS entries for all the devices on my network and I have to manually go around and either reboot them all, or use the router CLI to re-enter them.

So, I'm looking to use my own router (Billion Bipac 7500N) instead of the stock O2 one.

I found these instructions, but I think they refer to ADSL rather than Fibre:

Information about using your own router

Are there any similar instructions for Fibre? 

Thanks

I work for O2, but the comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not represent those of Telefónica.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Settings will be the same for either connection method.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

derekoh
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. How do I know if I'm on LLU or National Access?

I work for O2, but the comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not represent those of Telefónica.
Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

I would expect LLU.....?

You’ll need LLU settings if you use Home Worker or Branch Office products. Or National Access settings if you don’t.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

derekoh
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've given this a try, but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Just a thought - the O2 Router connects directly to the telephone socket.

Doesn't the TG589vn have a built-in VDSL modem, whereas the Bipac is just an ADSL router?

Do I therefore need a BT Fibre box between the Bipac and the telephone socket, and then configure it using the Bipac's WAN port setting instead of ADSL?

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, you'll need a modem in the mix somewhere.
If your router doesn't have one built in you'll have to route that through a modem from the phone line.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @derekoh I have a bit of info around your issue that might help.. 

If you're using an O2 fibre compliant router it should remember the devices even when switched off. This would indicate a fault with the router. Unfortunately we can't confirm that O2 settings will work correctly in a 'non-o2' accredited device so I would advice contacting the Business team to arrange a replacement device. 

Please let us know how you get on with this. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 9

derekoh
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did managed to get my personal router up and working successfully, but for now I'm still using the O2 router. The DNS issue persists, so I've taken to using static IP's and manually creating entries in the routers DNS using the CLI.

Message 8 of 9

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@derekoh wrote:

I did managed to get my personal router up and working successfully, but for now I'm still using the O2 router. The DNS issue persists, so I've taken to using static IP's and manually creating entries in the routers DNS using the CLI.

So is that work around preventing the issue @derekoh? If not its definitely worth giving the Business team a quick call. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 9