Did you mean: 

How to prevent or combat burnout?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

There's been more and more awareness around mental health at work in the past few years, with many people and companies trying to entertain a healthier work-life balance. 

One of the biggest risks if some version of this balance isn't worked into one's life is burnout. 

Screenshot 2019-03-26 at 13.07.30.png

I read here a few tips on how to prevent and combat burnout, and thought it'd be really interesting to find out more about everyone's ways of dealing with this. A few of the methods discussed in that article are:

• Carefully pick your support system: colleagues going through a similar experience, as empathetic as they might be, aren't always the best to turn to for help; consider seeking professional guidance.
  • Set yourself some goals: pick some achievable goals to regain control of your day-to-day life at work.
  • Keep moving: a simple quick lunchtime walk could help manage your stress.
  • Unwind: set some time to relax and recharge, whatever shape and form this takes for you (watch a movie, go to the gym, cook, paint, etc).

Do you have any tips on how to prevent or fight burnout?

sunflowerhuggingsun

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT 

*A support network of friends and colleagues is an absolute must.

* A sense of humour helps an awful lot, particularly if you can 'Count to 10 and laugh, instead of raging'

* For me, I found occasionally having my own space helped a lot.

*In some professions you are unable to 'prioritise workload'. If working in a high stress environment such as Accident and Emergency, you never know what will come through the door. You often won't get timeout during a shift for a break or even a drink...so you hang on in. Then you have to learn to relax when you come off shift ready to face it all again tomorrow.

I relaxed by reading, watching mindless TV and usually picking up the phone to a supportive colleague to let it all out.

Empathy goes a long way to alleviating burnout.

I could write an essay but generally and overall, those are things that helped to avoid burnout.

PS, I didn't always avoid it. I suffered burnout on at least 3 occasions. I got better at handling it, the more experienced I became wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT 

A lunch time break is essential really.  Talking about different things. 

If you can't have that it is terrible (I know @Cleoriff has said she couldn't rely on that)

I walked at lunch time met others walking too.

I walked before work, lunch time and after work before getting home.

I found that having animals was a wonderful distraction too they are

so jolly.

Then home to making a meal usually a chinese because

could cut up vegetables into small pieces to cook quick and tasty.

There was the slow cooker put on before going, that's good.

I worked 7 days a week (no time for stress but there was plenty of it).

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 4

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff That's great advice, thanks for sharing some of the things you've learned that helped you over time! I agree that it's super important to find a way to switch off and get your mind to stop thinking about work. Talking any stressful situation can also help find some silver lining, learnings, and defuse the tension that it caused and might follow one around. 

@TallTrees  I'm guilty of sometimes not taking a lunch break but I've tried to go on walks instead like you suggested. I think the mix of fresh air, physical activity and break from the work environment and talks can be very benefitial in the middle of the day. I'll try to do more of that, thanks for the tip! 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 4