Did you mean: 

Does success at work = happiness?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

With each New Year, most of us take a moment to take a look at where we are, what we've achieved and what we want to achieve. This focus on one's career path is very logical, as we all spend most of our lives at work, but how much prominence should it have in our search for happiness? I found this interesting article that looks at what success at work can mean, and whether successful people are the happiest.

How important is it for you guys to be successful at work? How do you define this success - is it monetary, or more centred around fulfillment, excitement, and challenges? Do you think your dream job alone could make you happy?

Screenshot 2019-01-16 at 09.12.06.png

Looking forward to hear your thoughts on this! smiley

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

What a lovely story @MusicIan. I can understand how emotional that must have been.

Way back when, one of our Care Of the Elderly wards turned the day room into a 'old dance hall/tea room'. It was decorated to the theme, with pictures of singers and film stars of the era.

Although we didn't have live music, they did play old time music and encouraged everyone who was able, to dance or just clap along in time.

It doesn't sound like much now, but this was in the 80/90's and was quite innovative at the time. It certainly had a positive effect on our elderly patients. heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 17

MusicIan
Level 4: Observant
  • 60 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Cheers @Cleoriff - when I started with the group I got a list of "songs that they like" and plodded through it but got a bit bored so I said

"My Dad was in the navy during the war. He didn't like Vera Lynn" and one the gents said "Nah, I didn't like her either."

There was a chorus of people who all agreed that they didn't reckon much to poor old Vera, and I asked why "We'll Meet Again" was on the list of songs that they liked."Nobody asked us" was the sad reply.

"Well I'm asking you. What do you want to hear?"

"Do you know 'The House of the Rising Sun'?"

"Know it? I've been playing it for fifty years, of course I know it!"

So he got up and started to sing, and he was going for it till he got to the third verse.

"Sorry, I've forgotten the next line."

"It's 'Mother tell your children'."

"Oh aye. Mother, tell your children, not to do what I have done.." When he finished he went all pink when they cheered and clapped.

Afterwards one of the carers came up and said how I had made a breakthrough with the Vicar.

"The VICAR?"

All his life he'd been singing hymns and now at last he could sing about brothels in New Orleans.
Message 12 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MusicIan

One of my all time favourite songs by a great, but very underrated group...I loved Eric Burdon's vocals.

Such a pity that Alan Price refused to travel on planes. Had he overcome that fear, I'm sure they would have had much more success. (though his differences with Burdon caused the final split)

I understand Eric Burdon and The Animals are touring in Germany next year..... No sign of a UK tour though...:smileysad:

PS.. loved the story about the vicar LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 17

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35211 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Even vicars should be able to let their hair down now and then, @MusicIan@. Good storyrofl

Message 14 of 17

MusicIan
Level 4: Observant
  • 60 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Cleoriff oh don’t start me off on musicians.

Alan Price is incredibly talented as a musician and ruthless as a businessman. Guess who gets all the publishing royalties from ”House of the Rising Sun”. It was the guitar riff that grabbed the attention, Eric Burdens voice that sold the song, but it was Alan who wrote “traditional, arr. A.Price” on the publishing notes. Or so I have been told by many musicians. But then I’ve played with three different sax players who all played on “Baker St” so large pinches of salt all round. 

Message 15 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MusicIan wrote:

@Cleoriff oh don’t start me off on musicians.

Alan Price is incredibly talented as a musician and ruthless as a businessman. Guess who gets all the publishing royalties from ”House of the Rising Sun”. It was the guitar riff that grabbed the attention, Eric Burdens voice that sold the song, but it was Alan who wrote “traditional, arr. A.Price” on the publishing notes. Or so I have been told by many musicians. But then I’ve played with three different sax players who all played on “Baker St” so large pinches of salt all round. 

Yes, it was something like that which caused the eventual rift. Add to that Eric Burdon cleared off to San Franscisco and came up with a group call WAR. Got fed up and tried to set up another Animals.

Alan Price blocked it and said the 'rights' to that name were his. (Even though he was perfoming as The Alan Price Set!

I think Eric won the battle eventually (after 5 years) and is now allowed to perform as 'Eric Burdon and the Animals'

We have the same sort of battle with the Searchers....Got two groups running with that name....though one is called Mike Penders Searchers...Confused

Sorry for meandering way off topic...though it is interesting to look at 'musical history'...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

PS, I loved Baker Street. Very Haunting tune....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 17