Did you mean: 

unlocking a phone

Smitty
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

Anyone else experienced the 'we need to ask Apple for permission to unlock your old iphone for use with another carrier' line? 

Today I was text chatting to O2 and had an Apple advisor on the phone sharing my screen so she could see the conversation. Both she and her upline said 'never heard of this - your carrier has to unlock your phone not us' 

I get the 72hr rule - actually I dont! This is 2018 and I expect O2 has the capability to unlock my old phone instantly if they choose to - feels to me like an attempt to get me to stay with O2 which is ironic seeing as my new phone is on a new tariff with them anyway!!

Be interested to hear if I am alone in this farce or have others experienced similar?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Amanda
  • 19 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes i have an iphone

Message 11 of 19

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Smitty and @Amanda, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble getting your iPhones unlocked. I've reached out to check if there's any system issues at the moment, and will post any update I receive here. In the meantime, if there's any progress on your end, please let us know slight_smile

Thanks @MI5 for the mention!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 12 of 19

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Amanda wrote:

Yes i have an iphone

Ok. I hadn't found the time to check your previous threads....wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 19

Amanda
  • 19 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@EmilieT @Cleoriff @SmittyThere's no system problem, I spoke to them this morning, asurred me yet again that my phone will be unlocked should have been done yesterday, according to their email 72 hours!

Message 14 of 19

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
It's the same when you remotely pick an Android phone. 72 hour time our before you can use it again.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 15 of 19

Amanda
  • 19 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Smitty Have you actually got any further with o2?  I have gone into my account and requested them to unlock my phone, for the 4th time, also spoke to someone, who said 24 to 48 hours and phone will be unlocked!  I'm very sceptical so guess I will be back on the phone again!!!

Message 16 of 19

Smitty
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Nope! I am waiting the 72hrs like they told me to. This runs through tomorrow at 10am but I am not hopeful.
I am hugely disappointed in O2 - this is definitely one for social media. If I hadn’t have just upgraded with them I would be looking to switch.
Totally crap service and they don’t seem to give a toss!!
Message 17 of 19

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Smitty & @Amanda

The iPhone unlocking system seem to be running fine indeed, so if after the 72 hours you're still stuck please drop me a Private Message so I can get someone to look into this with you slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 18 of 19

Amanda
  • 19 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@SmittyI know exactly what you mean, I've already took to twitter to have a rant, not even a response!  Oh i'm way past my 72 hours, what is totally annoying o2 do not own my phone!  I am most certainly disappointed, I took out a new contract a few weeks ago for my daughter, wish I hadn't bothered as I'm locked in to them for two years, but I suspect the phone is locked, pretty much illegal as I bought the phone and airtime through carphone warehouse, so technically it doesn't belong to them, but I'm guessing when new sim was put in they locked it!  A lesson I;ve learned if your leaving o2 get your phone unlocked well in advance, will be doing that for my son's phone!  One more thing if you have recently taken out your contract and phone they aren't allowed to lock it, that's a government requirement.

Message 19 of 19