Did you mean: 

unlocking a phone

Smitty
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

Anyone else experienced the 'we need to ask Apple for permission to unlock your old iphone for use with another carrier' line? 

Today I was text chatting to O2 and had an Apple advisor on the phone sharing my screen so she could see the conversation. Both she and her upline said 'never heard of this - your carrier has to unlock your phone not us' 

I get the 72hr rule - actually I dont! This is 2018 and I expect O2 has the capability to unlock my old phone instantly if they choose to - feels to me like an attempt to get me to stay with O2 which is ironic seeing as my new phone is on a new tariff with them anyway!!

Be interested to hear if I am alone in this farce or have others experienced similar?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Never heard of that at all although someone else has reported problems getting their iPhone unlocked today so there is maybe a system issue currently?
@EmilieT are there any problems currently?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

Amanda
  • 19 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am having the same problem with o2, empty promises, I will be putting in an official complaint then I will be contacting ofcom to report them.  

Message 3 of 19

Smitty
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks - that will make two of us then. 

will update the post if anything changes

Message 4 of 19

Amanda
  • 19 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well nothing has changed, so I have put in an official complaint!  I am ringing ofcom today to lodge an official complaint against o2!  My contract ends 3rd September, what I don't want to be lumbered with is them giving me a new contract, I've already signed up with vodaphone, but can't use their sim!  Received a PAC code from o2 but since my phone is locked cannot do anything!

Message 5 of 19

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Just to let you know, but OFCOM won't do anything until you have reached deadlock (if it goes that far) with O2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 19

Amanda
  • 19 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok thanks for the advice, getting very frustrated, I believe a need a NUC code off them, is this correct?

Message 7 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@AmandaHave you also got an iPhone?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 19

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Amanda wrote:

Ok thanks for the advice, getting very frustrated, I believe a need a NUC code off them, is this correct?

Yes, correct but just more commonly known as an unlatching code.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 19

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@AmandaHave you also got an iPhone?

Yes, her posts are here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Unlocking-code-fiasco/m-p/1145587#M155016

Currently using:
Message 10 of 19