cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 6s - O2 refresh

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wondering if anybody who has used O2 refresh can walk me through this.

I have a device plan on a 6+ with £325 outstanding.  O2 refresh offers £350 for the device at present. 

So when the 6s+ becomes available for purchase at the point of sale can I simply return my existing 6+ and begin a new device plan on a new device?  As apple have frozen the prices in the states presumably the prices will be very similar in the UK.

Therefore would I be right in thinking that in 12 montsh time I will again be at an almost identical point in my contract and would be able to return the device (effectively for nothing), take a brand new device and teh contract for teh device merely keeps rolling?

I appreciate that the downside here is that you always remain in hoc to the contract but the positive is you always retain a phone in warranty, and always have an up to date "fresh" device.

Am I missing anything.

thanks chaps and chapesses and enjoy the next few weeks. 

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144316 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yup and you'll lose the free data unless you can renegotiate it again.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 33

Mark_1980
  • 128 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

so lets say I walk into an o2 shop and put my 6+ on the counter and say i'll recycle that and I want a new 6s+

Firstly, I presume the recycle credit takes a few days to come through, is that right?

As such I'd then have to pay off the balance of the handset (in my case £325, and await the £350 from o2 recycle in a few days time).

As regards a new airtime contract presumably my present deal simply then falls away?  i have to take a new iphone 6s+ airtime tarriff, is that right?

o2 kindly upped my data allowance at no cost recently so presumably there would be no way I could hang on to that perk if I wanted to refresh?

Yes, because of the frankly ridiculous way in which O2 recycle works, you can't get the money 'there and then' and use it to pay off your existing contract (like you can with Carphone Warehouse). You'd have to pay off your contract seperately and then wait for the cash back from O2, meaning you'd be considerably out of pocket for a few days (especially if you had to pay an additional upfront cost for the 6S, which is almost a certainty).

Why O2 can't operate a similar recyle/trade-in scheme to CPW I don't know.. It would make much more sense!

I don't care what rank I am and neither should anyone else.
Message 12 of 33

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Just go into a local Game store.
Not only will they match any trade in price, but will add 5% and just take 20 mins to checkmend it.
Walk out within half hour with cash.

Plenty of alternatives if you look around
Message 13 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get the recycle money straightaway as it is credited to your account instantly & you can use O2 recycle to recycle your old phone to help pay off your device plan 

Message 14 of 33

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Yes, for use in upgrading, O2 will instantly add it.

Have a great day.
Message 15 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just looked on O2 website for recycling my iPhone 6 64gb to do this but unless I was looking in the wrong place trade in price was £279 like aren't they still going for £400+ still
Message 16 of 33

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Nope, it's old now
Message 17 of 33

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144316 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Don't just look at O2 recycle - there are many other options out there.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
I get that but bloody hell lol they don't hold there price that well anymore like how much is a iPhone 6 64gb brand new Has that price dropped to
Message 19 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm thinking they want to have there cake and eat it a bit there like anything surely you'd get more selling it else where
Message 20 of 33