cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 5s unlocking

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi 

very sad and disappointed with o2 refresh.because i cant unlock my iphone 5s unless i pay it off,i m traveling abroad soon but i cant take my phone with me as its not unlocked.i been an o2 customer since 2002 on payg and been on o2 contract with o2 since 2004.when i upgraded my contract i was never told that i cant unlock my device untill its fully paid off.i only came into know when i rang o2 for unlocking.its totaly unfair for all of us o2 customers.it realy made me upset and angry.if i knew that i never would have gone with o2.i got 3 contracts with o2 and told all my friends and family to get o2 contract.but after all this il never recomand anyone to go with o2.

very SAD,ANGRY and DISAPOINTED thanx to o2

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It is a SIM free Phone, bought from Apple, and i can confirm is is definitely locked out.

It is not, take it back where you got it!

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 31 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
If you bought a PAYG phone from Apple on O2 it will lock.
You should have specified a SIM FREE phone and paid more if that's what you wanted.

@Anonymous @MI5,

Just seen your post.

As far as im aware even when you order one on payg they dont lock out. It means Apple will send a payg starter pack.

This is from the Uk Apple Site......

Pay as you go for iPhone.

With Pay as you go, your unlocked iPhone arrives ready to use straight out of the box. There’s no contract, so there’s no commitment and you don’t need a credit check. That means you’re free to change carriers and you only pay for what you use.

Pay as you go starter packs are available at the Apple Online Store, pre-loaded with call minutes or credit, texts and data. Once your starter pack runs out, simply top up again. Carriers offer a variety of top-up options and added benefits. Visit your carrier website for details.

Message 32 of 46

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145125 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27862 Solutions
Cheers bob, but something clearly not right if Apple are suggesting that PAYG phones are unlocked....??
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 33 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Cheers bob, but something clearly not right if Apple are suggesting that PAYG phones are unlocked....??

I agree.

To the point of me popping into my local Apple Store after work and asking the very question.

"Do your iPhones on Payg or Sim Free lock out to any Sim Card inserted into them ? "

Answer : No.

Message 34 of 46

MI5
  • 145125 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27862 Solutions
Strange problem for the person on this thread then...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 35 of 46

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I remember posts stating the position with this at the time the 5S was released.

Apple were selling them either way up!

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 36 of 46

MI5
  • 145125 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27862 Solutions
i admit I always thought they were slightly cheaper if you bought them on PAYG rather than sim free....?

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 37 of 46

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I'm sure that's correct and thesponz has bought a Pay and Go phone.

"I want the new iPhone!"

"Yes mate what's it for?"

"Gonna use it on O2 Pay and Go!"

"There you go mate take this one!"

"Cheers mate sorted!"

or create your own interpretation!

Only a Pay and Go phone could lock to the network.

Message 38 of 46

MI5
  • 145125 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27862 Solutions
Spot on perksie slight_smile

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 39 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

So this is the story so far.

Spent about 2 hours on the phone to Apple (3 separate phone calls) and HOURS !!! On the phone to O2 and on live chat.

Apple can't tell me what the hell has happened, they are saying the think it's something O2 have done but have also confirmed they can't unlock it would need to be O2 who instigate the unlock. They also said there is NO restriction from Apple's end as to what O2 can and can't unlock so based on the fact I bought the phone privately they should have no hesitation in unlocking it. I am still trying to get a resolution to this from them.

O2. I have been on live chat with 4 different people now, the first 2 between them were unreal, they told me that yes we can do it but you need to go and buy a PayGo SIM and make a call from it, then in 24hours come back and we will unlock it. I did that, and when I went back to them they told me they couldn't do it because my PayGo balance was less than £15, so I topped up to £20. Then he told me, sorry we can't do it at all as you didn't buy the phone from us.

That's the standard line from the remaining people. No we will not unlock it as you didn't buy it from us. And No we won't refund the £20 we told you to spend on PayGo SIMs.

I'm so frustrated at the moment it's unreal, no two people give you the same answer, it's so unprofessional !!!

Message 40 of 46