cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 5s - 16months old - hardware fault - Apple refuse to replace

Anonymous
Not applicable

Appalling customer service. My iphone won't turn on. Apple have diagnosed 'hardware fault' - say it's out of warranty so the only solution is to buy a new phone. Phone was new last Feb. Not impressed at all

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apple warranty is 12 months from new then you can extend it using Apple Care or you will need to purchase a refurb out of warranty for a fee
Message 11 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

First 12 months is with Apple and the second 12 months of a contract is through the network. Apple devices over 24 months old are covered by the Sales Of Goods Act.....they just make it very difficult

Message 12 of 26

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23565 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3750 Solutions

Shouldn't the OP be complaining about an Apple hardware fault that Apple refuses to replace on an Apple forum?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 13 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93344 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

I would be....

@Bambino wrote:

Shouldn't the OP be complaining about an Apple hardware fault that Apple refuses to replace on an Apple forum?

Message 14 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous the network doesn't usually have another 12 months warranty on an Apple device once the original 12 months is up. It means that the only thing covering you then is if you have insurance
Message 15 of 26

jonsie
  • 93344 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions
Message 16 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Sale of Goods and Services Act basically states that goods and services must be:

* As advertised

* Fit for purpose

* Of reasonable quality

The last one is subjective, but an iPhone is an expensive and premium product and it is reasonable to expect it to last well beyond three years.  When O2 sell a 24 month service with it, locked in, then they are effectively saying it should reasonably last 24 months.  If O2 has sold you some cheapo phone that retails for £80 then you'd struggle with that one.  But it's a £400-700 iPhone!

If you have the phone on Refresh then you are also covered by the Consumer Credit act which states that the vendor/service provider and the credit company have joint responsibility.  Stop the payments and return the phone.

For more information go to Citizen's advice and possibly the Consumer's Association.

Apple tried the old "it only comes with 12 month warranty" with me once, which is fine, but I also bought the device in question from them - a MacBook Pro.  They backed down when I read them the Act.

What you have to be sure of, though, is that the fault was not due to wear and tear (although "fit for purpose" and "reasonable quality" can cover that).

Message 17 of 26

jonsie
  • 93344 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Taken to a court of law and I'm sure the verdict will be in your favour. ..It's down to the individual how far they are prepared to go and the big problem is that people aren't willing to go that far. ...

Message 18 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what Citizen's Advice and Trading Standards are there for. Small Claims (fast track) is the way to go. O2 need to comply with civil law in the UK.

Message 19 of 26

jonsie
  • 93344 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

O2 as the vendor are the people that need to be accountable, not Apple, but they have no confidence in their own product to give more than 1 year warranty. Anyone else find this totally unacceptable for a £600+ phone?

Message 20 of 26