cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Insurance replaced handset with an unlocked one, now no VVM

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Folks,

I'm typing this as i'm talking to O2 about my replacement handset which O2 insurance replace after I dropped it and shattered the screen. (Lumia 930) Slight upset was that my replacement was black and not the green backed but next day delivery was nice!

I recieved a voicemail and to my shock I wasnt able to find visual voicemail! I've done a little googling but it seems the handset they delivered to me was unlocked and as such I cannot get access to the VVM. This is something I use a lot and is one of the reason's I won't leave O2.

Unfortunatly the person I was talking to on the phone wasnt understanding what I was talking about, he tried to call Nokia then put me through to upgrades?! They promptly put me back through to technical support (After working in a technical support role i see why most people calling are *bleep*) After explaining my problem again (3rd time now!) I'm put back on hold again. 

I stressed that the phone is unlocked, not O2 branded, no O2 start up screen. It doesnt have the O2 Blue colour profile in the settings screen. It's not running O2 firmware as far as I can determine I've provided additional details below:

I'm then told that Nokia Lumia's dont have visual voicemail despite me telling them I've used it since I purchased the handset in an O2 store in December.

I was then asked to dial 1750, of course I was already talking to O2 on the handset I was talking about. They hungup and said they would call me back on my landline. (I provided the number, and guess what they did. I called 1750 to hear thanks for turning on voicemail please call 901...

I honestly don't understand the problem here, I've by all accounts told them the problem and asked them to kindly provide me with a replacement handset.

I've asked the customer services representative three times to assist me by provided an O2 locked handset. I'm then told to go into the store and contact them again but in the store?! After explaining fully AGAIN they then go off to talk to the insurance department to see what they can do?! This has cost me £60 on top of my monthly payment for insurance and I'm not all that impressed.

So I've now been told that I can go into store and they have the capability to change the firmware on my device. I've asked what if they cannot and received a vague answer. Outside of a weekend I have very limited transport capabilities due to work, for me to get to the nearest O2 store its a challenge and I'm hesitant to go for no reason.

Technical Information about the phone:

The carrier is listed as CV GBIE in Settings > About. Extras+Info displays it as 000-GB (Google tells me this is Unlocked).

Configuration ID: 1003.01961F

Core Build ID: 9031.13 (02540.00019.14522.26000)

OS Version 8.10.14226.359

Firmware revision Number: 02540.00019.14522.26006

Hardware revision number: 2.0.0.3

From the Microsoft Website - http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-europ...

I should have:

Phone is running Lumia Denim from the moment I powered the device on. Judging by the information above I have the Country varient on my unlocked phone which is the problem I've reported.

Seriously 2 hours of trying to get help is way too much for what should be a simple process.

Thank you in advance,

James

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

If you google "firmware Nokia Lumia 930" you will be provided with links to download and install any firmware currently available for the 930, within the list you should find one branded O2UK, if you download and install this on your handset this will restore it to O2 firmware (along with VVM) and will remain unlocked.

***IMPORTANT*** This is NOT an approved activity, and much like rooting on android MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

Having done it many times before on other Nokia Lumia devices (920, 930 and 1020) without issues I can verify it does work.

O2 Insurance will source the handset from either their own stocks or avilable suppliers (not nessessarily from O2 directly) which is why the firmware and SIM locks will very. Unfortunately your contract with insurance is for a replacement of the device (same model and specification where available) this does not include firmwares

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

If you google "firmware Nokia Lumia 930" you will be provided with links to download and install any firmware currently available for the 930, within the list you should find one branded O2UK, if you download and install this on your handset this will restore it to O2 firmware (along with VVM) and will remain unlocked.

***IMPORTANT*** This is NOT an approved activity, and much like rooting on android MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

Having done it many times before on other Nokia Lumia devices (920, 930 and 1020) without issues I can verify it does work.

O2 Insurance will source the handset from either their own stocks or avilable suppliers (not nessessarily from O2 directly) which is why the firmware and SIM locks will very. Unfortunately your contract with insurance is for a replacement of the device (same model and specification where available) this does not include firmwares

Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I understand where you are coming from but unless you keep trying and hope you get an agent that understands you it may be a fruitless exercise.
Flashing firmware yourself will get you back to normal in the quickest way and as PhoneChanger has said, it's real easy to do on the Lumia range.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well thank you both. That took less time to figure out and do than i spent talking to O2!

I'm backup and running with VVM!

-James

Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Well thank you both. That took less time to figure out and do than i spent talking to O2!

I'm backup and running with VVM!

-James

Brilliant news James......and yes coming on here and chatting to the experts above, usually has a better result than trailing round after O2 'Gurus'.......oh and all done for free without the hassle of continual phone calls..:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Excellent news mate and well done.
You now have VVM and an unlocked phone, so you did good slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I found flashing very easy...just posted it to @MI5 LOL (3 day turnaround,  thanks Rich) I'm now a bonafide middle man so PM me if you want my address Handshake

c/of Thailand of course Crazy LOL

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Great to see that you got some useful advice @Anonymous ! Well done @PhoneChanger !
Message 8 of 8