Did you mean: 

ios6 Defaulting to MMS messages

Benjs
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi

Has anyone else noticed that when sending a new message to someone the phone defaults to sending an MMS instead of a SMS or iMessage?

This has resulted in a lovely conversation with o2 this morning who tried to advise me that if i send more than 480 characters in a text then it sends as a picture message, which is why i have been charged the extra outside of my contract!!

Most annoyed - is it a glitch with ios6 or the iPhone 5?

I've turned MMS off until i know whats causing it.

Message 1 of 32
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Benjs
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Spoke to a lovely helpful woman at o2 today. She explained that it is a fault to do with the iPhone and they've had a "memo" about it. 

Basically its a fault and it will tell you at the top of the screen when typing a new message if its a "message", "iMessage", or "MMS" so need to keep an eye on it. 

When i disputed the charges as not my fault and didn't know she kindly on this one occasion reimbursed it but i got told to keep an eye on it in future. 

Lesson learnt, but think it needs flagging with Apple as its pretty dumb of the phone to default to sending MMS messages. 

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Are you using the subject line? as that defaults to mms

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 32

Benjs
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hi
Nope, never have used the subject line. It just automatically defaults to a MMS when sending a message to a new recipient. It still says text message in the box you type in, but then I'm charged for the mms.
Message 3 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me just get this right, if you send 'a' to somebody you are being charged a MMS?

Message 4 of 32

Benjs
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Yep... so you go to write a new text to someone who's not in the list of people you've recently texted... so you choose the name as normal and their number from the list. It then says at the top... "New MMS"
In the box where you type your message... it says "Text Message" in the light grey text which dissapears when you type your message.
So i go ahead and sent a message, thinking it would be a text message seen as it is text and not pictures, but no, its sent as an MMS and o2 charge me for it as its outside my allowance.
Message 5 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

What does your message settings say?

Try texting Active to o2 on 2020 to make sure the settings are correct.

Message 6 of 32

Benjs
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
which settings?
the MMS settings are set to an APN of idata.o2.co.uk, as o2 sent me when i set the phone up.
At the moment i've just turned MMS off to prevent any further costs or nasty surprises at the end of the month.
Message 7 of 32

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Go to settings>message>send and recieve.

Is your mobile number in there? I'm just wondering if that is correct as its been known to cause a similar problem.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 8 of 32

Benjs
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Yep its got my mobile number in there and its selected for the "start new conversations from"
Message 9 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried 2020?

Do you have Wifi switched on?

Message 10 of 32