Did you mean: 

ios6 Defaulting to MMS messages

Benjs
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi

Has anyone else noticed that when sending a new message to someone the phone defaults to sending an MMS instead of a SMS or iMessage?

This has resulted in a lovely conversation with o2 this morning who tried to advise me that if i send more than 480 characters in a text then it sends as a picture message, which is why i have been charged the extra outside of my contract!!

Most annoyed - is it a glitch with ios6 or the iPhone 5?

I've turned MMS off until i know whats causing it.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
I also have the same problem. My bill came today with an extra £46 added for media messages sent. I spoke to a nice lady at O2 who refunded 50% of the money but I am still not very happy about this.

I checked the number of SMS messages I sent, which was 50. Of all the messages sent during Xmas and New Year, only a couple of them appeared under my messages whilst the rest appeared as MMS. I think it's kind of fishy that the total SMS sent amounted to 50 (when I have unlimited messages allowance on my tariff). Has anyone checked how many messages they sent? Maybe my case was just a coincidence that it was 50.
Message 31 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its to do with "group" messaging. For example, say xmas day you sent a "happy xmas" message to 20 people, not individually. Because you sent it as a group text your phone sent them via MMS without telling you. Not your fault, but also not O2's fault and thats why they're only giving you 50% back. Its a goodwill gesture.

I even got caught out with it, but not to the same extent as most folk I know are on facebook lol.
Message 32 of 32