Did you mean: 

ios6 Defaulting to MMS messages

Benjs
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi

Has anyone else noticed that when sending a new message to someone the phone defaults to sending an MMS instead of a SMS or iMessage?

This has resulted in a lovely conversation with o2 this morning who tried to advise me that if i send more than 480 characters in a text then it sends as a picture message, which is why i have been charged the extra outside of my contract!!

Most annoyed - is it a glitch with ios6 or the iPhone 5?

I've turned MMS off until i know whats causing it.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Ah now this has happened to me since IOS 6.0.2 update.

Ive had to speak to O2 today and the guy was mega confused. it sent I sent a media message to mobile no 000000xxxxxxxx (xx are numbers but not in any order)

Im waiting for my refund, however he was confused as he never seen it before.

So im going to see if it happens again

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 11 of 32

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Precisly the reason I keep rejecting the update pop ups 😞

You'll have to keep us updated Darren. Hope you had a good Christmas:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 12 of 32

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Yes will do mate, one thing that is even strange.

I have my send as normal sms etc if cant send via imessging switching of, however it still sent it. So it totally ignored the switch.

So i agree to o2 I did send one mms (Not my fault, but not the 2nd one) Ive just checked and it says the mobile number is 000000001234 which is not a uk number.

I also spoke to some person on o2 chat this morning who will credit my account, well that hasnt happened. So onto the phone again to o2. I thought i would give o2 chat a try again.

Had a great xmas mate thanks, Mega hetic tho how did yours go.

Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 13 of 32

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I'm not even convinced that number is of any countries origin.

Is that the number the mms was sent to? Or the one iMessage is claiming your using?

Great Xmas thank you. Had to stay sober during the day due to designated driver 😞 but I made up for lost time come 9pm:D
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 14 of 32

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

lol. Yes i was Des too until i got in at 8pm then managed to walk home at 1.30pm from friends.

No its a o2 saying ive sent a mms too.

2 are showing on my account, at the same time on the same date. 1 is sent to a +44 number which is correct, the other is this 000000001234 which is completely and utterly not a number in any part of the world. So ive no idea what it is. lol

Message 15 of 32

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Google doesn't have a clue either:/

Well at least they don't know either just to get the money back now.

8pm-1.30pm that's a rather impressive binge my friend haha. I bow before your drinking ability slight_smile
Message 16 of 32

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

oops lol 1.30am  even i couldnt manage 1.30 pm day after.

I slept well that night tho 🙂

Message 17 of 32

Benjs
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Funny that you should speak to O2 and they give you a refund - I spoke to them yesterday and supposedly it's normal for everyone and I wouldn't be reimbursed the charges! Supposedly I've sent 13 to the same number... I don't know if that's just what MMS messages go through possibly??
Message 18 of 32

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

The reason for my refund really is that 000000001234 is not a mobile or any number what so ever.

Ive however got to call o2 as the o2 online chat hasnt put the refund onSmiley Mad

ive not had any other issues however, but i will be checking more closely for the time being.

But i send large messages over 460 chars and none of mine have been sent as MMS and ive sent loads of messages today and they have all gone as SMS as they have always done.

But i do think that this needs looking into more and would get o2 to look at this further.

If you sent 16 mms at the same time including the same seconds, then i can tell you its not possible. There is always a delay between each message.

MMS can take a few seconds to send, so if 16 went to same number all at same time incluidng seconds, then some where there is a miss and i think the server was trying to deliver the same message or got confused?

Let me know how you got on

Message 19 of 32

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144287 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
I could be wrong but I thought 000000001234 was the number shown if you sent a message to an email address...?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 32