Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6+: MMS wrong charges.

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I have recently noticed I have been charged for MMS (33.3p) messages that were none of the things below: 

- NOT more than 5 group message. 

- NOT over 160 chars (with NO emoji). 

- NOT containing links or media. 

This is really annoying, as then I have to phone-up CS and get the charges removed. 

Has anyone else been having this recently or in the past? 

Also, couple other clarifications (I'm on pay monthly): 

1) Am I charged to receive MMS, and is it the same as sending [33.3p]? (don't get many, hence can't remember.) 

2) Does Subject field count in the 160 chars? (i notice if I add a subject line the char counter disapppears entirely!) 

3) If I turn off MMS in Settings [Settings>Messages>MMS Messaging (OFF)] what happens if someone tries to send me one – on both their end and my end? (non iOS user, so not as an iMessage.) 

Yours annoyed and confused. 

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jimthing0 wrote:

2) Does Subject field count in the 160 chars? (i notice if I add a subject line the char counter disapppears 

This is why you have been charged. As soon as you enter text into the subject field, you then turn what would have been a standard text message, into a MMS message and thus incur a MMS message charge. It is possible to turn off the subject field in the Messages app (which I have personally done after inadvertantly entering text into it and incurring MMS charges).

Re Emoji's. I regularly use these in my messages and I never get charged. Since iOS 7 (think it was) Emoji have been part of iOS/had their own keyboard, and I think this is why there is no charge as they are classed as a standard keyboard character.

Here's the video:

I made a short video guide a while back on turning off the Subject Field. It might be worth watching as you can avoid anymore MMS charges with the subject field.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
You are not charged for receiving.

Nothing will happen but if you want to avoid these charges then use an app like whatsapp of FB Messenger

It only has to be one group message not 5

Have you sent the same text to multiple people as that is classed as a mms & group message
Message 2 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's because you added a subject line - Immediate MMS and is not an error or something that O2 should refund. It's how Apple have designed their software.
To avoid charges turn off the subject field in settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 11

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Thanks for responses.

No most of the time I do NOT add subject line: still charged on these few short messages.

And it's easy to say just use Whatsapp et al., but many people I need to contact in relation to work/business are just not users...thus SMS is only option.

What about Q#3?
Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@jimthing0 wrote:

3) If I turn off MMS in Settings [Settings>Messages>MMS Messaging (OFF)] what happens if someone tries to send me one – on both their end and my end? (non iOS user, so not as an iMessage.)  

It will send from their end and they will be charged but you will not receive it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
ps. Business cards also convert to media messages.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
But don't I get sent a link to see it online or something, AFAIR...?
Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Can you ever remember receiving an MMS from an Android phone?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 11

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Surely it's not about what model of phone I get one from though. Rather what happens when it's an MMS (not iMessage, ie. if iMessage is not on/working for example). 

As I said, I thought I'd instead get an SMS from O2 saying something like "You have a message: to see it, goto this link: http://www... ". 

Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I ask because my wife insists on having an iPhone and I have never been able to send her an MMS regardless of what setting she has on her phone.
In fact I don't think it's possible to send an MMS to an iPhone unless it's from another iPhone......
and yes, in theory, you should be directed to a web link.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11