Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6+: MMS wrong charges.

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I have recently noticed I have been charged for MMS (33.3p) messages that were none of the things below: 

- NOT more than 5 group message. 

- NOT over 160 chars (with NO emoji). 

- NOT containing links or media. 

This is really annoying, as then I have to phone-up CS and get the charges removed. 

Has anyone else been having this recently or in the past? 

Also, couple other clarifications (I'm on pay monthly): 

1) Am I charged to receive MMS, and is it the same as sending [33.3p]? (don't get many, hence can't remember.) 

2) Does Subject field count in the 160 chars? (i notice if I add a subject line the char counter disapppears entirely!) 

3) If I turn off MMS in Settings [Settings>Messages>MMS Messaging (OFF)] what happens if someone tries to send me one – on both their end and my end? (non iOS user, so not as an iMessage.) 

Yours annoyed and confused. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jimthing0 wrote:

2) Does Subject field count in the 160 chars? (i notice if I add a subject line the char counter disapppears 

This is why you have been charged. As soon as you enter text into the subject field, you then turn what would have been a standard text message, into a MMS message and thus incur a MMS message charge. It is possible to turn off the subject field in the Messages app (which I have personally done after inadvertantly entering text into it and incurring MMS charges).

Re Emoji's. I regularly use these in my messages and I never get charged. Since iOS 7 (think it was) Emoji have been part of iOS/had their own keyboard, and I think this is why there is no charge as they are classed as a standard keyboard character.

Here's the video:

I made a short video guide a while back on turning off the Subject Field. It might be worth watching as you can avoid anymore MMS charges with the subject field.

Message 11 of 11