cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock iPhone 5S on the Refresh Tarriff

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys!

I took out a new refresh contract with the iPhone 5S. I needed it unlocked as I need it for use on two networks, when I enquired about the unlock on live chat, I was told they would unlock the handset, but only after the phone plan had been paid in full.

I then called customer services to check this information was correct, and I was assured it was, so paid the phone plan in full, went back to live chat, and they submitted a unlock request.

The next day - an email arrived from 'back office support' stating they are not yet authorised to unlock iPhone 5S handsets!

I spoke to customer services again who stated that was incorrect and passed it back through! Im a little worried as I dont want it to go past my cooling off period and then they say that cant do it! 

Anyone here in the same boat or successfully had your iPhone 5S unlocked?

Message 1 of 171
170 REPLIES 170

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144717 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
PAYG = Pay as you go. ie no contract but still network subsidised. Sorry, but you are wrong 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 131 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it was bought outright but from O2 so it will be locked to O2
Message 132 of 171

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand what you are saying but when you buy it outright it is wrong to sell a locked phone surely. Or, they should tell you they are locked when you buy it, that did not happen. That has to be wrong.

Right or wrong you have bought a phone from a network and for use on Pay and Go they're all locked.

The network is within their rights to do this and always have done.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 133 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to decide whether I stay with O2 or not (coverage issues) and last night I asked O2 on Twitter when the iPhone 5S would be unlocked.  I was told that, if I paid off my phone plan (I'm on a Refresh tariff) they would be able to unlock it for me!  Having checked on the O2 website it looks it still says the iPhone 5S and 5C can't be unlocked.  This could be interesting...

Message 134 of 171

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You'll have to take a chance, some have paid it off and got it unlocked and some appear not to have.

There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 135 of 171

MI5
  • 144717 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
This member did but only after a bit of a struggle http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Unlocking-iphone-5s/td-p/596938
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 136 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

The iPhone 5C/5S isn't available for unlocking yet, apart from on Reresh plans (and only when you've paid off the phone)

A few online requests slipped through because like everything else, a back-office team then puts the requests through.  Obviously they've missed that a few are 5Cs and 5Ss. 

If you phone, you're likely denied at point of contact without a form going through to the back-office team, so much more consistent that way.

Of course, all of this may change in future.  O2 have a habit of waiting longer than the other networks before allowing unilateral unlocking.

Message 137 of 171

MI5
  • 144717 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
Why are your Twitter team telling people to pay off the phone plan then they will unlock then?

Currently using:
Message 138 of 171

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
@Mi5 agreed
@Pablo can you feed this back and see what can be done
@Toby same can we get a cast iron reply I.E. yes refresh plans unlocked when paid or not until the unlock policy changes. Or there will be claims of one rule for them and one for the rest.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 139 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
If I can ever get through to pay off my plan (and the bank don't decide it's fraudulent!) I'm going to request the unlock - I'm not expecting to be successful but I can only ask!
Message 140 of 171