cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock iPhone 5S on the Refresh Tarriff

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys!

I took out a new refresh contract with the iPhone 5S. I needed it unlocked as I need it for use on two networks, when I enquired about the unlock on live chat, I was told they would unlock the handset, but only after the phone plan had been paid in full.

I then called customer services to check this information was correct, and I was assured it was, so paid the phone plan in full, went back to live chat, and they submitted a unlock request.

The next day - an email arrived from 'back office support' stating they are not yet authorised to unlock iPhone 5S handsets!

I spoke to customer services again who stated that was incorrect and passed it back through! Im a little worried as I dont want it to go past my cooling off period and then they say that cant do it! 

Anyone here in the same boat or successfully had your iPhone 5S unlocked?

Message 1 of 171
170 REPLIES 170

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had a dreadful experience linked to a similar issue. On 27 Dec I upgraded both My wife and i's contracts on unlimited contracts with O2 and the iPhone 5s. I upgraded at CPW and was assured that both phones would be unlocked for free if I asked O2. I have spent hours over the past two weeks getting pushed back and for between O2 and CPW. I am off to the US soon and have. Already bought an unlimited USA sim . I am now told categorically that they will not unlock the phones. I am very frustrated and have no opportunity as 14 day period has no past. Still no call back. From CPW after logging complaint. No one at O2 interested. Once they have you signed up they just don't care. The regulator next!
Message 121 of 171

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Robbieregan

I can understand the frustration but the regulator will not be able to help you or the ombudsman until 8 weeks of deadlock and then it is only the ombudsman and not the regulator.

This is the usual sales tactics we see from cpw far to often.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 122 of 171

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145064 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
You were lied to by CPW to get a sale.
O2 have always said they will not unlock new iPhones (for around 6 months).
Everyone says "I am going to regulator about this" but as O2 are following T&C's that you agreed to you won't get anywhere.
Your issue is with CPW.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 123 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

For Xmas my darling fiance splashed out and bought me a new 5s cash. As I was with O2 she went to the O2 shop in Guildford Surrey. Unbeknown to her I was thinking of changing providers as O2's data costs were too high.

At point of sale she was sold a 5s on Pay as u go, and was not told the phone was locked.

I changed providers and found out the phone was locked.

I spoke to O2 who flatly refuse to unlock the handset that I own outright.

So since Xmas it has sat on my table not being used. Luckily I kept my old 3GS. I got that unlocked so I am not without a phone. It is disgusting service.

I emailed both Ofcom and BBC Watchdog about this misselling but neither appear to be interested.

Had I known it was locked at point of sale I would have taken it back within the 7 day return period. They refused to take it back after.

They are still refusing to unlock it.

I wonder how many peeps are in the same boat.

Pete

Message 124 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
They normally unlock them about 6 months after release it's annoying I know
Message 125 of 171

MI5
  • 145064 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
One or two who didn't research it first, but it's fairly common knowledge. Ofcom & WD won't be interested as there is nothing to be interested in. Networks always lock PAYG phones, it's normal practice. The only way to get sim free is to buy at full price directly from Apple.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 126 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you are saying but when you buy it outright it is wrong to sell a locked phone surely. Or, they should tell you they are locked when you buy it, that did not happen. That has to be wrong.

Message 127 of 171

MI5
  • 145064 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
Yes, but you didn't buy it outright. You bought it subsidised on PAYG and O2 (and all networks) wish to claw back their subsidy before allowing users free choice of networks.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 128 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately you should have brought from apple
Message 129 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

No you are wrong, it was bought outright with no contract.

Message 130 of 171