Unlock a New Phone

NAB1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all

Sorry, bit wordy but its an odd situation

I have recently bought a brand new iPhone from a private seller who was told by O2 they'd unlocked it. Long story short, the seller couldnt get on with it & wanted Android so the phone contract has been paid off in full. It now appears the phone is still locked & neither me or the seller seem to be able to get any sense from O2 how to unlock it. We are getting completely contradicting information from the (un)helpful agents. The latest information I have had is the phone has not been used (its brand new!) so no calls have been registed on the O2 network so it can't be unlocked. My understanding is the seller actually made one single long phone call to O2 to pay out the contract/phone & request the original unlocking but this call has not been logged. We have screen shots of all the "chats" where agents acknowledge the IMEI number is locked to O2.

I really not sure where to take it from here. I think some calls need to be made from the phone using an O2 SIM before it can be unlocked but the seller is 500 miles away so I can't just pop round.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks

NAB1

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

NAB1
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's where I get the most sense in our household

Message 22 of 28

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 23 of 28

NAB1
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So the update to the saga is I popped The Boys O2 SIM into the phone & had made a couple of short chargeable calls. MyO2 app was still showing his original phone & IMEI. About 8pm I got an email from the seller showing a text message they’d received to say the phone was unlocked. It said I needed to connect to iTunes via USB to complete the unlock so I started to boot up my laptop. As it was starting I popped in my EE SIM & the phone sprung into life, set itself up & connected to EE network. Didn’t even get chance to open iTunes.
Thanks to everyone’s input
Cheers
Message 24 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122820 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Excellent news @NAB1 So pleased it's sorted.:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 28

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
It just needed to be seen on the network.
Glad it’s sorted for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good news. Thanks for the update 

Message 27 of 28

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

That was quick. Brilliant, wifey will be pleased....I'm sure you will be suitably rewarded innocent

Message 28 of 28