Unlock a New Phone

NAB1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all

Sorry, bit wordy but its an odd situation

I have recently bought a brand new iPhone from a private seller who was told by O2 they'd unlocked it. Long story short, the seller couldnt get on with it & wanted Android so the phone contract has been paid off in full. It now appears the phone is still locked & neither me or the seller seem to be able to get any sense from O2 how to unlock it. We are getting completely contradicting information from the (un)helpful agents. The latest information I have had is the phone has not been used (its brand new!) so no calls have been registed on the O2 network so it can't be unlocked. My understanding is the seller actually made one single long phone call to O2 to pay out the contract/phone & request the original unlocking but this call has not been logged. We have screen shots of all the "chats" where agents acknowledge the IMEI number is locked to O2.

I really not sure where to take it from here. I think some calls need to be made from the phone using an O2 SIM before it can be unlocked but the seller is 500 miles away so I can't just pop round.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks

NAB1

Message 1 of 28
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Phone has to be used on the O2 network for a day or two then follow this help https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

Unless you already have an o2 sim you can use you'll need a PAYG sim https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go

Get the classic pay as you go one.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Phone has to be used on the O2 network for a day or two then follow this help https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

Unless you already have an o2 sim you can use you'll need a PAYG sim https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go

Get the classic pay as you go one.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @NAB1 Advice on unlocking here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

Although if its a PAYG phone it needs to have been on the O2 network for 12mths (except iPhones) before they can be unlocked. Actually the seller should probably have got the phone unlocked before he sold it....unless you knowingly bought it locked?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 28

NAB1
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks, as I suspected. I can steal my sons pay monthly contract SIM.
When you say a day or two, does that mean a few call in this time or just have the phone switched on so its on teh network?
Message 4 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
A few calls i would think then the phone number will be registered on their system
Message 5 of 28

NAB1
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It was Pay Monthly & no, it was advertised as Unlocked complete with chat transcript from O2 confirming this. It now appears the agent who confirmed the phone was unlocked was not being truthful
Message 6 of 28

NAB1
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Cheers, over a few days or just some calls that would be classed as payable from his allowance?

Message 7 of 28

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Just put his sim in it for a day and make a couple of calls.
Look in his MyO2 to see if it shows your phone and when it does, just press the unlock now under device details.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 28

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Yes it would. You need to make a few calls from his allowance. Once registered he can unlock it in My O2 (his) whilst the sim is in the phone and the IMEI is showing.

Message 9 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NAB1 wrote:
It was Pay Monthly & no, it was advertised as Unlocked complete with chat transcript from O2 confirming this. It now appears the agent who confirmed the phone was unlocked was not being truthful

Live chat are extremely unreliable & notorious for inaccurate information 

Message 10 of 28